Reason For Production Slump

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited May 2004 in Folding@Home
Well looking across the board at all the teams it looks like everyone has had a drop in production like the past 2 days. When I got back from the LAN I noticed I had several 235 and 236 point Work units on my computers. I think I have 4 going atm. So watch out for another spike in production similarily like what happened when the 160 pointers came out. A drop and then a spike.

Just a heads up in case some people were wondering whats up.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    Well looking across the board at all the teams it looks like everyone has had a drop in production like the past 2 days. When I got back from the LAN I noticed I had several 235 and 236 point Work units on my computers. I think I have 4 going atm. So watch out for another spike in production similarily like what happened when the 160 pointers came out. A drop and then a spike.

Just a heads up in case some people were wondering whats up.

Not only that, but most of the admins who are monitoring the increased points and how the stats are sent from the WU acceptance servers to the stats server work on Monday through Friday, and some of those point differences from old points to new points are getting done Monday through Friday only. So, would expect a surge on Monday and\or Tuesday just from THAT fixing things like earned points over weekend by user ID by hand.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Yeah, I noticed that I was working on a 236-pointer at the LAN.

Thrax's response: "I hate you." ;D
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited May 2004
    i've been getting some 128 pointers that fold EXTREMELY slowly compared to other things. i usually get 400 ppw on each of 2 consoles running on my 2.8c (this is with EXTREMELY heavy harddrive and bandwidth usage at all times). these 128 pointers give me about 100ppw, at 40 min/frame. i wish i knew the exact #
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I know I have a hd that died within the last hour ...but it's a pIII 1gig and I should have it back up tomorrow.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Another reason for the slump would be t1rhino's production which now has stopped altogether? :scratch:

Anyone know why?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2004
    Well IC1 turned in a WU today so I dont think its his home network. Must be work but that doesnt explain the complete drop off.
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited May 2004
    Terry wrote:
    Another reason for the slump would be t1rhino's production which now has stopped altogether? :scratch:

Anyone know why?

Sorry I haven't posted before now.
    I know the dropoff was sort of sudden, but I didn't have a choice.
    We are going through a monster IT audit here at work by our parent company due to, well, my boss allowed hackers into the corporate network via a backdoor trojan. Anyways, I had to remove F@H from all of the computers until I can discuss it with the IT auditors. My home computer is out of commission right now, so I don't have any computers folding (except for some computers here at work that I can't find to uninstall F@H).

Hopefully I can convince the auditors that it poses no security risks, and get it back onto some computers.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Hi Chris. I figured it would be something like that but was still a little concerned anyways, thx for the word. :)

And good luck with those auditors.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Wow, t1, good luck with the auditors! If you need any ammo for convincing them, you know where to turn. :fold:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    t1rhino wrote:
    Sorry I haven't posted before now.
    I know the dropoff was sort of sudden, but I didn't have a choice.
    We are going through a monster IT audit here at work by our parent company due to, well, my boss allowed hackers into the corporate network via a backdoor trojan. Anyways, I had to remove F@H from all of the computers until I can discuss it with the IT auditors. My home computer is out of commission right now, so I don't have any computers folding (except for some computers here at work that I can't find to uninstall F@H).

Hopefully I can convince the auditors that it poses no security risks, and get it back onto some computers.
    Good luck T1 ...we'll be reuting for you! :fold:
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2004
    Damn bosses, for some reason when you become a 'boss' you have an innane urge to click on 'newXXXscreensaver.scr' or such. I have yet to figure out the exact mechanism for this correlation but hopefully will soon :).
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    qparadox wrote:
    Damn bosses, for some reason when you become a 'boss' you have an innane urge to click on 'newXXXscreensaver.scr' or such. I have yet to figure out the exact mechanism for this correlation but hopefully will soon :).

Bosses are trained by life and education to make max money out of minimal expense. They are trained to look at direct and immediate and TANGIBLE benefits, not indirect ones, mostly. Until they can be trained to realize that TANSTAFL and "THINK FIRST" MUST be applied massively in considering IT things, we will have them clicking away and trying to find special deals. Some of those false deals will burn them big-time.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    My output is down due to thunder storms. I had a couple of boxes off all day due to bouncing power, not ot mention 6 hours without any last night.
    Looks like all is back up now though.
  • edited May 2004
    It's been raining severly down here for the past week and a half with thunderstorms so my production has been bouncing around too. It's been real hairy with all the lightning stikes nearby and the electricity flickering pretty badly. The saturated ground has also produced static in our phone lines which has caused our dsl to operate erraticly too.

KF
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited May 2004
    I know I've completed a couple of WUs in the last few days but these haven't been updated. I was at 347, now I've gone down to 352.
    Bummer.
    edited May 2004
    And here is what happens when some of those big WUs come in on one day.:) Highest one day production for me ever.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited May 2004
    And here i was thinking we were the only ones with problems.

First of all, t1, seriously hope it all works out for you and you can get back to the production figures we all admire. :thumbsup:

Sunday late afternoon, i thought it would be a good idea to daisy-chain the 2 KVM boxes onto Sally's screen, K/board and mouse. Very gently moved all the puters out of there place of abode to re-arrange all the network cabling etc. Put all the puters back to how i had it planned, startted them 1 at the time, only to find 3 decided to go on strike.

As some of you may have seen by Sally's postings for assistance, things are still not well. I believe it will stay that way till i get home unless Sally gets enough rest to have another go.

Once home, i'll be replacing 3 standard intel heatsinks and fans off the CPU's with Aerocool HT101's. More downtime. Should the cheapish mobo's prove to have been part of the problem, finances allowing, might be replacing some of them too.

Checked folding@home, which shows 11 proc's working. What The? Should be 8 as we are down 1x P4 2.8 HT. Must be caused by the problems of reformat etc.

Sure hope EVERYONE gets back to normal. :smokin:
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited May 2004
    Well, it doesn't seem to be going very well so far with the auditors.

I had to lock down our routers so that only our AD domain controller can resolve DNS for external addresses, and now all computers must go through the proxy for internet access. :banghead:

Keep you guys posted. :rolleyes:
    edited May 2004
    My PC hasn't sent any results back since the 15th although it has done several WUs. It completed one early to day. Are these lost?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2004
    Check your queue. If you see the WU's there they should eventually make it. :)
    edited May 2004
    This is odd.Last week I was at work so the PC was only on in the evenings, This week I'm off and its been on all day everyday. I KNOW its been completing WUs.
    edited May 2004
    Make sure for Team 93 and under your username.
    edited May 2004
    It is. Nothing has changed as far as I can see. My rank was 347 last week, now it's 353, Actually I've just checked and its handed one in, rank now 351, but I do seem to have lost a weeks worth of folding.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2004
    Is your computer set up for multiple users? Maybe something is logging you off and shutting it down.