Is something wrong?

RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
edited May 2004 in Folding@Home
My point total hasn't updated since yesterday. SM Forums has me at 4897.77

Stanford website has me at 4938.

Thanks,

RADA

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited May 2004
    you're updated, don't worry. these sometimes lag behind by even a day or two, just give them time. if i'm not mistaken, i think they take it from a site other than stanford's, and that one isn't updated quite as often....anyone care to correct me?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2004
    The stats are taken off of stanford's static html pages. Last time the stats updated was 8:38 PM EST DST.

Your stats have been updated.:)
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited May 2004
    eh, so i'm wrong :p , oh well. same idea
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited May 2004
    Disregard, the update computer finished its coffee break!
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Two things are happening:

First, the stats are from stanford but from a stats update release file that is made available on about a 3 hour count cycle. Second, Stanford is at UTC -7 hours and the website is at UTC-5 hours right now, boht are on Dayligth Savings Time in their respective time Zones. Stanford, from what I can tell, releases stats at about 12-13 minutes AFTER the hour even, and not every hour do they gen a update file for stats sites-- more like every three hours right now.

So, if you think of Stanford as having same time as this site, NO. Let's say a site in this site's home time zone picked up every third hour on the hour. They would get stats from real time about 2 hours and 45 minutes old-- BUT, Stanford is running three hours earlier than this site's home time zone. So, at Stanford you turned in a WU at, for example, 9:00 AM. At 9:13 AM Stanford time, the file is ready for pickup. It's 12:13 PM site home time zone time then, and if the server here picked up at 12:00 NOON local to it, then it would not even get the file stanford just gened, it would get the file BEFORE that. The one from Stanford time of 6:13 AM is what it would get. When it gets the file Stanford's server did at 9:13 AM STANFORD TIME, it will be 3:00 PM site time local to site server.

Stanford is on US West Coast, Site Server is in the northern midwest. See http://www.sarcnet.com/ and look at the contact page, they and the server are in Detroit area. Time differences make up a bunch of the lag.

I said this was just an example, in fact Stanford's stats server, if real busy with folks looking at it, can put off generating the update file for other stats needing folks to download. It feeds its web customers first. So, the LAG between the time this site updates and Stanford shows stats can VARY from time to time-- without anything being wrong at EITHER end except for Stanford's web server being busy. I'll look at my stats totals, convert and give you a more real picture of what is up right NOW....

My last WU turnin was at 15:12:53 STANFORD time. Total then, there, became 34673 points, 970 WUs. That is 18:12:53 in Detroit. I'm gonna post this, see what points and WUs look like.... Then will edit them into text of this post in real time... Site here shows 34471.7 points and 967 WUs. So, gonna look at EOC2, my stats page.... As of the 6 PM Central Time Zone pickup there (same time zone as this site's home time zone) I had 34606.7 (rounded up to nearest point and showing 34607) points. As of 3 PM CDT (same time zone for both here and EOC2 Stats), I had 34471.7 points, and sure enough after EOC2 did its nominal 3:00 PM pickup, that is what I show there also.

Now, this server, if it is hyper busy, can take a while to calc stats, and can take a while to apply picked-up updates. With all the graphics flowing up to it, its been real busy.... graphics nice, but something has to give.

Let me give you a rough idea.... IF you want to take Stanford time and guess when things will show up here if you want to ignore time zone stuff which is lots of the apparent difference, then add 6-10 hours to stanford time and you will see how a busy server handles things like feeding threads and letting people post more importantly than stats. IF we stuck stats first, less than the 108 actual users (I'm including the spiders that almost live index this place for Google so it can figure out what ads to feed) would be able to get here and post all at once, or even get here and READ (80% of the people hooked up now, if I could spiders as users, ARE NOT logged in and only can read) adn reading and posting is more important to most of us than stats.

http://www.foldingatwork.com/ will have faster updated stats, though they will be shown in UTC days and times and not even Stanford time of Pacific Daylight Savings Time. Btu for weeks and stat patterns like who will be passing who, they are VERY good now thta DragonV8 got the webadmin there to get stats engine there working again. We can unload the server here by looking elsewhere for stats, and by not looking many times a day we can help Stanford get stats sent out faster if enough of us do that-- processing just stats for between 327 thousand and 328 thousand active folders is one heck of a job for one majorly fast box, much less WEB FEEDING them also. RANKS are not likely to be off...

While I can understand your frustration, it is more frustrating not to be able to use the foruim here or have Stanford stats on demand there, right????