Just started folding

MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited May 2004 in Folding@Home
Just wanted to let you guys know that I started folding today. I don't know how much good it will do for the team, but I brought a few cpu's. Here's what I fired up today:

1 P4 Prescott 3.0@3.5 12-18 hours/day
1 P4B 2.4Ghz 24/7
1 AMD XP 3200+ 12-18 hours/day
4 AMD XP 2000+ 12-14 hours/day

One thing I found kinda strange. All the AMD processors pulled tinker and all the P4's pulled GROMACs. 1 of the AMDs pulled a 130 hour WU. Is that a bit high?

I'm pretty sure I got them all set up right. They are all working on different WU's. I did have an issue with one set working the same one. Did a directory copy through the LAN, but I got it worked out. They are all running as services and can be seen on EM3. I didn't use any switches though. All the info on these seemed to be a bit out of date. Some on, some say off.

Some units should be finishing anytime now.

I hope to be of a little help to the team. :thumbsup:

Comments

• TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Hey welcome to the Team Missileman, the project and us need all the help we can get! :thumbsup::fold:

You should be able to pull off all GRO's with the -advmethods switch, although, my info may be out of date. Someone will be along soon enough to clarify. :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2004
    P4s: Use the -advmethods and -forcesse switches.
    AMDs: -forcesse in case you get a gromac WU. Tinkers are by far better on AMDs.

I would also suggest '-verbosity 9' as well. Makes it easier to diagnose problems.

130 seems a bit long. Is it still like that after it has finished a frame with little use. The hours depends on the last completed frame. If the computer was in use and the frame was high...well the hours will be high as well.

The contribution is much welcomed. You should do quite well even if some are only part time.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Great to have you on the team missleman ...be forewarned this is very addictive.
    After all this time you've been around I knew you'd succumb sooner or later hehe :fold:
    Are the hyperthreaded cpu's using 100% cpu?
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited May 2004
    Welcome to the team MissleMan. Glad to have a new member folding for the team and project. You should do just fine, and yes Csimon is correct, it is addictive for sure.
    edited May 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    Tinkers are by far better on AMDs.

Really? So with a 2100+ I should be wanting Tinkers rather than GRO's?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Terry wrote:
    Really? So with a 2100+ I should be wanting Tinkers rather than GRO's?
    You can almost say that tinkers are made for athlons and gromacs for p4s ...because of an fps technicality.
    Pointwise you shouldn't notice any difference on a p4 whether you fold tinkers or gromacs but on an athlon that has yet to be proven.

edit/ erm ...*ducts*did you get the core_78 v1.65 yet? */ducts*
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2004
    Oh yes since they changed the point system to a P4 from the Celeron. I get about 700 ppw on my 2.5 GHz Athlon. I got one of the 249 pointers that I just finished up and it was goint at 1400 ppw. Much better now.:D
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    csimon wrote:
    You can almost say that tinkers are made for athlons and gromacs for p4s ...because of an fps technicality.
    Pointwise you shouldn't notice any difference on a p4 whether you fold tinkers or gromacs but on an athlon that has yet to be proven.

OH??? Tinker p638... About 6.4 min per frame, four frames per percent, 100 percent per WU-- Time total about 42 hours on a P4 Northwood or Prescott.

Gromacs, most of the normal WUs, 4-7 hours each total on Prescott, 4-7 hours total on Northwood-- pointages are now such that I can get almost twice as many PPH by folding just Gromacs, but I know folding needs Tinker work also done so I tend to let the very uneven stats from dayd to day and week to week show up on stats updates. The very huge doubles are another story, those take a while, but normal Gromacs here.... QUITE a difference in productivity. All my clients were running when my points went from well over 300 per day down to 50 something, due to a Tinker running and then another starting on a different pipe before first Tinker finished, then another tinker starting on first pipe. The day I had all Gromacs feeding, I had 453 poiints one day, over 360 the next day.

I get tWICE the points per hour out of Gromacs on average, compared to tinkers, in actuality, on two common P4 subgen chips. Willamette was more even, only gave me 1.4 times the effectiveness per hour out of a Gromacs versus a Tinker.

Sorry, P4s hate Tinkers big time, especially the big ones they get because they are more effective with Tinkers insofar as actual total time per WU compared to other boxes that the servers feed them to minimize completed data return time per WU.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    csimon wrote:

edit/ erm ...*ducts*did you get the core_78 v1.65 yet? */ducts*

Been getting so many Tinkers lately that the latest Core_78 that was out last time a server and WU said I needed one was the 1.64 version. Right now I have One Tinker and TWO Gromacs running between my three P4 pipes-- three hours ago I had TWO Tinkers and a single Gromacs going. Let me hop to the Prescott box-- p910 and P924 running, Core_78 v 1.64 is processing them fine.... Core_65 is an issue, major one. THAT, I have the Core_65 2.52 running in Linux\Northwood box. So far, Tinkers use Core_65, YES????

DUCKS??? (DUCTS?????????????)
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2004
    I'm sure John said this, but simply put sTinkers smell like roses on Athlons and are acceptable on P4's (the benchmark machine is now a P4 2.8c or something). Getting tinkers on an athlon machine generally adds 30-100% PPW for the period of the unit. In fact in the case of my Athlon-500 a current tinker has TRIPLED production from ~100 PPW to 310 PPW. In the case of a Tbred-B @ 1.833 GHz (its hot here today!) a current Tinker means a jump from ~650 PPW on Gromacs to 1000 PPW.

130 hours is about what a 244 point tinker is taking on my Athlon-500 so that's faaaar too slow as 244 is the highest point valued WU.
    edited May 2004
    Thx to Missileman here, I'm going Tinker. :fold:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited May 2004
    Whis yu guys lerned to reed. The guys name is. Missileman, hehehe.

Welcome Missileman. With that many Ghz's, you'll be firing them off like missiles.

See guys, if you had spelled his name right, you could have thought of that first. :nudge: