The Tweaks and Tricks Thread

13»

Comments

• SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited February 2004
    This little tweak has been claimed to fix everything ever wrong with the NF7 from stuttering in 3D games to crackling on sound cards. It is the NForce2 equivalent of snake oil.

I found this when I was experimenting trying to find a reason for my O/C Barton to be stuttering in a fairly plain 3D game (Horizons) which I was beta testing. It did make my stuttering go away, raised my benchmarks a few points, and generally made the board seem more responsive.

Go into control panel->System->device manager and select the computer and then ACPI Uniprocessor machine. Do properties and update driver. Select and manually choose "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface PC". It will tell you to reboot. It will then find new hardware and reboot again. Now all returns to normal with one exception. All the virtualized IRQ's (18,21,22, etc...) are gone and your IRQ's are back to hardware bios assignments. Same as if the Standard PC HAL had been installed. Except ACPI is still enabled and virtualized IRQ's are still available if needed in case of conflict.

I believe the response increase is due to the removal of the layer that does the IRQ redirecting. I have done this to 3 ABIT NF7-S systems without incident and got improvement on all of them.

I make no other promises and don't know how it works on other brands. Your mileage may vary.

Take it for what it is worth.

This tweak was brought to you by MissileMan. A discussion on this tweak can be found [link=http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?p=109397#post109397]Here[/link]
    edited April 2004
    Microsoft doesn’t allow you to straight forwardly download Internet Explorer in its entirety so you can install it quickly from a backup copy when you need to. Follow the below steps for the easiest way to download IE6 in full.

1) Download the setup program from here (500KB)

2) Go to the folder where you've placed the above file. Open a Command Prompt (CMD) in that folder, then run the following command in the CMD window: ie6setup.exe /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"

That will allow you to choose where to download the files to, and to also select which operating system(s) you want to download it for.
    edited July 2004
    Windows Explorer by default, when you click on an .avi file, will try to obtain property information about the file e.g. width, height etc, which when the file is corrupted or not fully complete, won't be available to Explorer. So Explorer will start scanning the entire file in search of this information causing a significant drain on system resources.

To stop this from happening do the below:

1. Open up regedit
    2. Goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
    3. Delete the "Default" value which should be "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}"

Note: This tweak will make Explorer no longer provide you with the windows properties displaying the AVI file information such as width, height, bitrate etc. But it’s a small price to pay for saving you resources.

Submitted by Bradley99
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited July 2004
    Use the import/export feature in IE to quickly create an archive of all of your Favorites, as you have them saved, then save the file to a floppy. My co-worker had his HD crash and he lost 3 years worth of fav's. It saves your fav's as a web page, organized just like your original fav menu, but MUCH more easily archived. I wish I knew about this feature when I manually copied every website onto a Word document when I left my last job. Took over 2 hours.

Note: You can also just copy their 'Favorites' folder out from their Documents and Settings directory and then copy it back on the new PC or newly-formatted PC.
    edited August 2004
    This little trick is one of my personal favourites:

For those users who find one Internet Explorer start page just isn’t enough you can very easily create a little .bat file to launch and navigate automatically to multiple sites all at once.

1) Right-click the desktop and create a new text document.
    2) Open the new text document and click File - Save As - "iestart.bat"
    3) Delete the blank text document and then right-click on the newly created iestart.bat file and select 'edit'.
    4) Input the below commands into it:
    START "" "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://www.short-media.com/forum
    START "" "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://www.google.co.uk
    START "" "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://www.spinnershomepage.co.uk
    EXIT

Replace the above web addresses with ones of your choice.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited August 2004
    You can speed up the time it takes firefox to load. On some older systems firefox can take several seconds to load where IE loads almost instantly.

Right click the firefox icon and select properties from the menu. Add the following to the end of the target line outside the quotes.

/prefetch:1

Now your target line should look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /prefetch:1

apply the change and launch firefox. You may not notice a difference on the first launch but after that it should launch faster.

Gobbles
    edited March 2005
    To keep a particular user from appearing on the Welcome Screen under Windows XP do the following:

1) Open Regedit (Start - Run - Regedit)
    2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
    3) Create a new DWORD value with the exact same username as the person you want to hide. Set this value to 0.
    edited March 2005
    If you wish only non-administrator user accounts to be visible on the welcome screen (that way people have to guess the administrator user name as well as the password, and it is not readily visible for people to mess with) do the following:

1) Create another administrator account.
    2) Use Tweakui to untick 'display administrator account'
    3) Untick 'display newadmin account'

At this point, the welcome screen will not display the new administrator account but will still display the original 'administrator' account even though Tweakui is set not to display it.

4) So having created a new administrator account. Simply disable the original 'administrator' account in computer management.

Now no administrator account is displayed on the welcome screen.

You can access the new administrator account by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL twice and inputting the userid and password.

This way none of the users have any idea of what account is the admin account, and seeing as the admin account is a completely different name to administrator it makes hacking it VERY hard.

Submitted by: Lammypie