Commodore 64 Returns!

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
The company which owns the Commodore brand name, plans to relaunch the brand in an attempt to take advantage of a recent upsurge of interest in the obsolete, but nevertheless quaint, Commodore 64 computer.

Commodore was one of the pioneers of the PC industry and following on from the success of the C64 in the early 80's, the Amiga acted as a solid foundation for the full on development of the personal home computer. Then of course Bill Gates had to come along an ruin it all with Windows.

Will some of us own a new Commodore computer in a few years time? Quite possibly yes, we will.

The full report:
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111556,00.asp

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Are they bringing back 5.25" floppies, too?
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    that's next week's big announcement
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    kanezfan said
    that's next week's big announcement

Don't tempt fate.;)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    C64? Why not the C128, its just like the C64 but with twice as much RAM.....

Oh well....

NS
    edited July 2003
    NightShade737 said
    C64? Why not the C128, its just like the C64 but with twice as much RAM.....

Oh well....

NS

I imagine it is down to which model was the most popular. When I think Commodore, I think C64, not C128. The Amiga 1200 also, was much better than the 500, but most still had the 500. Nevertheless the C128 must have been seen as a beast in its day. The good old days hey! nothing like 'em.:)
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    anyone heard of this ... I first found it a couple of days before the last news post on the site, seems the project died ... real shame, looks like this would have been a fun one to own ..

still in my opinion the ZX Spectrums pwned the Commodores ... but thats just cos it was what i had to work with (first comp - ZX80 .. followed shortly thereafter by the uber zx 128 :) )
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    rofl, wtf -

The choices for the FSB frequency are:

33.87 Mhz
    50.80 Mhz
    52.92 Mhz
    67.74 Mhz
    84.67 Mhz
    89.96 Mhz
    101.61 Mhz
    105.84 Mhz
    135.48 Mhz

135mhz FSB C64?!

Yeah....

Actually I dont think A500's were that popular as A500+'s were released not long after and were MUCH better.

NS
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    The C64 rocked!!

It had a very advanced sound chip (the SID) chip for its time.

Mayhem in Monsterland was the best game for it ever!!
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited July 2003
    If we're going old school then we should get Bernouli (sp) disks. If you never saw one, you're probably not alone. They were HUGE. I don't recall the dimensions exactly, but 12in x 12in seems about right.

Hey, the size was worth it because they held--get this--TEN (10) MEGABYTES! That's half a hard(card)drive 20!
    GHoosdum said
    Are they bringing back 5.25" floppies, too?
    edited July 2003
    NightShade737 said
    Actually I dont think A500's were that popular as A500+'s were released not long after and were MUCH better.

NS

Yeah, sorry that's what I meant, the 500+'s. I know at least two people who still have one and I think a mate of mine has got a 1200 stashed away somewhere. That 1200 I think has a hard drive fitted aswell.:mullet: