Cant boot in Windows XP....HELP!

chipatkinsonchipatkinson San Antonio Texas
edited June 2005 in Hardware
I am trying to fix my kid's computer. It is running windows XP and when they tried to boot up they got the following message: "Some system files are missing or damaged. You cannot log on at this time. Please use your installation cd to reinstall or repair windows. Error code 0x80040507"

I used the installation cd and selected the repair option. After going through the 40 plus minutes of installation, we got to the point of selecting the name under which to log on....we stayed in the "loading personal options" screen for quite some time then received a "value creation failed at line 422" message...the system then locked up.

I've tried the repair option three times now with the same results. Should I try to reinstall windows xp? I looked at that option and am given the option to select one of two partitions (the FAT, or the large partion) or to create a new partion for the install. If I reinstall, should I install in the large partion or create a new partion? If I install in the large partion, does that format that portion of the hard disk and do I lose all the data installed there?

Lots of questions....thanks for your help!!!!!!

Chip Atkinson

Comments

• chipatkinsonchipatkinson San Antonio Texas
    edited May 2004
    I tried reinstalling again. I received the following message:

"your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests from some applications may be denied. For more information see help."

I clicked ok. The system struggled to display other boxes, but could not display entire boxes or message. Locked up.

Any ideas???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chip
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    it would help if u list the spec of the machine u are dealing with.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2004
    run a memory checker before doing anything else. Thats step one. Docmemory or memtest will work fine. let it run for an hour or more looping through the test.
    Tex
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I tried reinstalling again. I received the following message:

"your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests from some applications may be denied. For more information see help."

I clicked ok. The system struggled to display other boxes, but could not display entire boxes or message. Locked up.

Any ideas???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chip

Increase of virtual memory is swap space file being made bigger on HD often-- how much free space, as a percentage of HD is free, and how big is HD?? Check HD also, ok??? I WOULD also do the RAM scheck, in part to validate that first as Tex says, but this can be a combo issue if someone is trying to overlay a new install and save lots of stuff on HD being installed to at same time.
    edited May 2004
    Thank you all for your help!

I ran docmemory through 3 loops and it did not fail any tests.

The system specs are:
    cpu - intel celeron 1.7GHZ
    224MB ram
    primary hard drive is 38GB
    secondary hard drive is 23 MB
    bios - american megatrends 07.009 4/2/2001
    system type X86
    MS windows XP home edition 5.1.2600 service pack 1 build 2600
    total physical memory - 256MB
    available physical memory - 81.53 MB
    Total virtual memory 952.98MB
    available virtual memory 200.57MB
    Page file share 729.49MB

I am only able to boot in safe mode and that takes a long time.
    When I try to do normal boot I receive a message saying "your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information see help."
    After I click ok, the system locks up.

I got the system spec information above while in safe mode. I can not access the internet while in safe mode.

I ran HJT and fixed the files suggested by those in the spyware forum and ran LSP_fix as well.

Any suggestions????????

Thanks!!
    Chip Atkinson
    edited May 2004
    Thank you all for your help!

I ran docmemory through 3 loops and it did not fail any tests.

The system specs are:
    cpu - intel celeron 1.7GHZ
    224MB ram
    primary hard drive is 38GB
    secondary hard drive is 23 MB
    bios - american megatrends 07.009 4/2/2001
    system type X86
    MS windows XP home edition 5.1.2600 service pack 1 build 2600
    total physical memory - 256MB
    available physical memory - 81.53 MB
    Total virtual memory 952.98MB
    available virtual memory 200.57MB
    Page file share 729.49MB

I am only able to boot in safe mode and that takes a long time.
    When I try to do normal boot I receive a message saying "your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information see help."
    After I click ok, the system locks up.

I got the system spec information above while in safe mode. I can not access the internet while in safe mode.

I ran HJT and fixed the files suggested by those in the spyware forum and ran LSP_fix as well.

Any suggestions????????

Thanks!!
    Chip Atkinson

INSIDE the PC, how many sticks of RAM are in there????

XP's idea of how much physical you have does not match the 224 MB. Difference is one 32 MB stick, possibly, or a 64 MB stick partly unseated-- depends on where the 224 MB came from. Possibly also a good stick but probably not timed the same as the rest of the RAM if it is, OR, you need to run DocMemory doing all the tests it can overnight. I would in this situation, use MemTest86's bootable CD and run that in all tests mode overnight if you can get a friend to let you download it on his computer and burn two copies, one for you and one for him or her.

IF you have 4 sticks of RAM in there, one of the two that is oldest and smallest is bad, or you have a bad socket or a socket with dust in it, or all four sticks are not same speed. IF docmemory only says you have 224 MB, Windows says you have 256, and you have four sticks, makes sure all four are tight in sockets, ok??? Check with power off.
    edited May 2004
    John,

Thanks for your reply and help!

There is only one stick of RAM in there. I'll try to get a bootable CD of memtest86 and run that or at least run docmemory overnight.

The computer was running fine until a few days ago....then it started having the virtual memory error.....

Chip
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2004
    The differential in ram is almost certainly due to having shared memory with your (I'm supposing) on-board video.

If you feel adventurous, try moving your swap file over to the secondary HD (I'm assuming the 23MB is a typo and you meant GB :) ) and see if it makes a difference.

How does this computer connect to the Internet? If you have DSL or a cable modem I would boot in Safe Mode and delete all of the items under "Network Adapters".
    edited May 2004
    If Prof is right, there is one way to get past the boot error and end up with the swap file easily on the HD that has 23 GB open:

You would need to borrow (not keep) another stick of RAM, or if you have one of same speed and kind available, just stick it in. You then have your stick plus extra RAM in box.

Now try and boot Windows and see if the extra RAM gets it past the need to expand virtual memory (ie causes it not to need to do the expansion by making a bigger swap file) on HD and lets it load without even doing that. And if you have both sticks in and it works, then you can tell Windows to move the swap file to the drive with the most open space and it should have enough RAM to do so. Once you have moved the swap file to a Hd with more space, restart to get the change committed in regisrty, then shut down computer, and take stick out. Then reboot, and this time XP should take up more of your D drive with its swap file. If it cannot do this after that workaround, then something other than just what Prof thinks is actually wrong.

If it works, hand the stick back in its antistat bag back to whoever you borrowed it from , or put it back if you had to help get it out of a friend's computer.
    edited May 2004
    Thanks!!!

I am trying to borrow a stick of RAM from a friend.

Also, I guess I misread the system specs. The 23MB disk is a partition of the large disk. My secondary hard drive has 1GB free. I've copied some of the system specs below.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name A-0N6RA4D1PF958
    System Manufacturer ECS
    System Model M925
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~1699 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 4/2/2001
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
    User Name A-0N6RA4D1PF958\A
    Time Zone Central Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 74.97 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 952.98 MB
    Available Virtual Memory 186.95 MB
    Page File Space 729.49 MB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Drive A:
    Description 3 1/2 Inch Floppy Drive

Drive C:
    Description Local Fixed Disk
    Compressed No
    File System NTFS
    Size 38.26 GB (41,085,239,296 bytes)
    Free Space 32.96 GB (35,393,183,744 bytes)
    Volume Name
    Volume Serial Number 70E87FBD

Drive D:
    Compressed No
    File System FAT
    Size 23.30 MB (24,434,688 bytes)
    Free Space 23.24 MB (24,373,248 bytes)
    Volume Name
    Volume Serial Number 5820AE54

Drive E:
    Description CD-ROM Disc

Drive F:
    Compressed No
    File System FAT32
    Size 3.72 GB (3,992,920,064 bytes)
    Free Space 1.02 GB (1,090,445,312 bytes)
    Volume Name TCG
    Volume Serial Number 243A0AFD

If I am able to do so and boot normal, how do I tell Windows to move the swap file?

Also, I ran MemTest86 on the computer all last night and it did not identify any errors. The DocMemory tests did not identify any errors either.

Suggestions????

Thanks again, I really, really appreciate all your help!
    Chip
    edited May 2004
    Another thought.

Because my primary hard drive has 32GB free and the secondary only has 1GB free, doesn't seem I'd gain anything by moving the swap file, rather it would be worse.

Am I correct?

If so, what else can I try?? Do I need to buy another stick of RAM?

Thanks!
    Chip
    edited May 2004
    ...If I am able to do so and boot normal, how do I tell Windows to move the swap file?...

Right-click My Computer, left-click Properties, click Advanced, under Performance click Settings, click Advanced, then finally (!) click Change (under Virtual Memory). You can select each drive and go from there.

The reason I suggest this is that it should force Windows to re-jigger your Virtual Memory settings - and hopefully get you past the error. If it doesn't work it is easily switched back. (Small disclaimer - as with any system not functioning properly, you always risk making things worse by doing anything...)

I would also recommend that you run the Hard Drive test utility from the drive manufacturer. Sometimes a drive is failing and everyone knows it but Windows. :rolleyes: Since Virtual Memory (your swap file) is stored on the HD it could be that Windows is valiantly (or stupidly) trying its derndest to write to the disk but can't do so (or must retry umpteen times before it is successful, which would explain the agonizing delay).

This bothers me:
    Total Virtual Memory 952.98 MB
    Available Virtual Memory 186.95 MB

I've never seen a system use nearly 800MB of Virtual Memory just booting. My main system has 512MB of Ram, plus a 768MB Swap File, for a total of 1280MB. I haven't rebooted in days, have run some memory-intensive programs (like Photoshop, and some games), and have had lots of things open at once. During this period my Peak usage was about 362MB. (See attached picture.) Either your system is really knackered, or you have something unusual (and if that's the case, likely something nefarious) sucking up all of your resources. If you can still get into Safe Mode I would strongly recommend that you run HijackThis! and post the log here.

Also, the reason I suggested uninstalling everything under Network Adapters is that if your kid just got home from college (sorry if I'm confusing you with someone else) they were likely on a Network for Internet access at school. The computer could be trying to connect to a Network which is no longer there. Once again, Windows could be hemming and hawing around looking for it, leading to the delay. Removing the Network Adapters (and whatever else shows up in that category in Device Manager) will force Windows to quit trying. If I had your computer on my bench that is the first thing I would try.

Hang in there - we'll help you get it sorted out. :)
    edited May 2004
    Thanks for your help!

I'm going to try to move the swap file.

I've run HJT a few times over the past couple days and gotten help deleting files from the Spyware forum. This is the last post I made there with the latest scan. I've tried to get rid of a few files left, but have thus far been unsucessful. The last scan I used the list also minor sections configuration as suggested.

Any suggestions??
    Thanks!
    Chip

Thanks again to all of your for your help!

I turned off system restore before I ran the first HJT and have had it off for all the scans.

I am only able to boot in safe mode now, I've been trying to work that problem in the emergency forum under thread entitled "cant boot in windows XP...help!"

I ran the HJT with the list also minor sections (full) turned on and copied the scan results below.

I have norton antivirus software on the computer, but I guess it is disabled in safe mode. I can't run any scans using it in safe mode or connect to the internet to update virus definitions.

Any suggestions????

Thanks!
    Chip
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 5:33:36 PM, on 5/27/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {8952A998-1E7E-4716-B23D-3DBE03910972}_ - (no file)
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {5D60FF48-95BE-4956-B4C6-6BB168A70310}_ - (no file)
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {4FC95EDD-4796-4966-9049-29649C80111D}_ - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Forbes] C:\Program Files\Forbes\ForbesAlerts.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\inetadpt.dll
    O16 - DPF: {00B71CFB-6864-4346-A978-C0A14556272C} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/msgrchkr.cab
    O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://active.macromedia.com/director/cabs/sw.cab
    O16 - DPF: {2917297F-F02B-4B9D-81DF-494B6333150B} (Minesweeper Flags Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MineSweeper.cab
    O16 - DPF: {77E32299-629F-43C6-AB77-6A1E6D7663F6} (Groove Control) - http://www.nick.com/common/groove/gx/GrooveAX27.cab
    O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binar...StatsClient.cab
    O16 - DPF: {A17E30C4-A9BA-11D4-8673-60DB54C10000} (YahooYMailTo Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yah.../yse/ymmapi.dll
    O16 - DPF: {C8BAC37C-A8D2-425E-B7FC-80B9537FB14A} (SBFullS Control) - http://www.spyblast.com/download/SBFS.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/...ash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {F00F4763-7355-4725-82F7-0DA94A256D46} (IMDownloader Class) - http://www2.incredimail.com/content...er/imloader.cab
    edited May 2004
    profdlp wrote:
    Also, the reason I suggested uninstalling everything under Network Adapters is that if your kid just got home from college (sorry if I'm confusing you with someone else) they were likely on a Network for Internet access at school. The computer could be trying to connect to a Network which is no longer there. Once again, Windows could be hemming and hawing around looking for it, leading to the delay. Removing the Network Adapters (and whatever else shows up in that category in Device Manager) will force Windows to quit trying. If I had your computer on my bench that is the first thing I would try.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!!!

The computer is a desktop and hasn't been out of the house. However we have had two ISPs since we set up the computer. Should I still try to remove the Network Adapters?

How do I remove the Network Adapters? I am using a wireless network in the house and this computer gets internet access from the network. If I remove the Network Adapters, does that disable the wireless network access? If so, how would I restore it later?

Thanks again!
    Chip
    edited May 2004
    How do I remove the Network Adapters? I am using a wireless network in the house and this computer gets internet access from the network. If I remove the Network Adapters, does that disable the wireless network access? If so, how would I restore it later?...
    Don't physically uninstall anything, just go into Device Manager and remove it there. When you reboot, Windows will find it again and reinstall it for you - it would be wise to have the driver disc handy, just in case.

The idea behind trying this is that Windows networking problems can often bring the whole works to a grinding halt. This is a quick and easy way to bypass that problem by forcing Windows to ignore it. Until it reinstalls the card it assumes you don't have a network and skips that part of the boot process.

If it works, Hallelujah! If not, it is a quick way to eliminate one possible cause of the problem.

As Sherlock Holmes put it:
    Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
    edited May 2004
    When you say "remove", is that the same thing as "uninstall" or is it "disable"? Those are the two options I found in device manager.

Thanks!
    Chip
    edited May 2004
    When you say "remove", is that the same thing as "uninstall" or is it "disable"? Those are the two options I found in device manager.

Thanks!
    Chip
    Go with "uninstall". :)
    edited May 2004
    Thanks for your help!

I uninstalled both entries in nework adapters. Rebooted the machine...still would not boot normal....so turned it off....booted in "last configuration that worked" mode....after about 15 minutes...it booted. Everything seems to run soooooooooooo slowly.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks!
    Chip
    edited May 2004
    Yes, Chip. Look in device manager, see what is generic. It is possible you managed to roll back to the original set of drivers that XP installed by default, as XP always saves its first install setup as a backup if the machine boots. Secondly, by doing this, you might be missing security packs if it rolled all the way back to square one. It tried, and it took it 15+ minutes to think about what fit before it booted but it booted-- that means it did as close to an autoreinstall and tried to stick in what fit SOME during that 15 minutes.

Here's how to get to device manager in XP:

right-click my computer
    click hardware tab
    click the device manager button

Look for the following:

A monitor driver name that is not specific or does not have PNP or Plug 'N' Play in its name. Wait to install drivers for this until after the chipset and display adapter areas are fixed, in that exact order.

In the display adapter area, look at the display adapter line under the title given, it should not be generic like anything with the word default or anything other than your video card's name in it.

In the system area, look for things that are specific to chipset, and if you see nothing that talks about intel if this and intel box, or Via if this is a Via chipset box, or nForce if this is a nVidia motherboard box, then you need to install chipset drivers again first.

If the chipset area shows specific stuff, I would update the chipset drivers anyway if this is XP and you know newer drivers are available. The last known good might not have that update running anymore even if you installed it.

If it is hyper-slow, another ToDo list thing you should do is this pair of things as a set, after obvious driver work as above to eliminate the generic and inefficient drivers:

Run defragmenter on boot drive times 3.
    Then schedule a CHKDSK on boot drive, and restart, let that complete.

As a tech, when something happens that has flakes and also could be partly hardware drivers or storage itself, I check the storage data structure routinely after a large-scale rollback and know if a box takes 15 minutes to roll back it has written a lot of stuff to HD and modded the registry a lot.

Using the Last Known Good ooption does tell XP to try and recover from a backup settings set and the first one that XP does automatically is also a file backup. So, you will have things maybe to reinstall, and you might be back at almost square one with box if you never saved restore poiints yourself or had the Restore services layer in XP disabled. Pretend this is a new windows box, check for things you would check for if you reinstalled, make a list of what is obviously bad\missing, then fix that.

This is as short as I can say it, folks.
    edited May 2004
    Scratch one off the list. Too bad... :bawling:
    I would also recommend that you run the Hard Drive test utility from the drive manufacturer. Sometimes a drive is failing and everyone knows it but Windows. Since Virtual Memory (your swap file) is stored on the HD it could be that Windows is valiantly (or stupidly) trying its derndest to write to the disk but can't do so (or must retry umpteen times before it is successful, which would explain the agonizing delay).
    This would be my next step. :)
    edited May 2004
    Right, and a failed CHKDSK run or a hung CHKDSK run is a good sign you need to do just that-- check HD with dedicated HD validation tools. And THEN check RAM, if there are still hangs and HD is checking good.
    edited May 2004
    Thanks John!

I found the following in Device Manager:
    Monitor Driver: Default Monitor
    Display Adapter: S3Graphics Prosavage DDR
    Network Adapters:
    Direct Parallell
    Netgear MA101 USB Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Netgear MA101 USB Adapter #2 Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Netgear MA101 USB Adapter #3
    Netgear MA101 USB Adapter #3 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
    VIA PCI 10/100MB Fast Ethernet Adapter
    VIA PCI 10/100MB -Packet Scheduler Miniport
    WAN Miniport (IP)
    WAN Miniport (IP) -Packet Scheduler Miniport
    WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    WAN Miniport (PPPDE)
    WAN Miniport (PPTP)

I checked the system area looking for things specific to chipset talking about Intel and had the following in System Devices: (not sure if any about Intel)
    ACPI Fixed Feature Button
    ACPI Power Button
    ACPI Sleep Button
    Direct Memory Access Controller
    ISPNP Read Data Port
    Microcode Update Device
    Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    Numeric Data Processor
    PCI Bus
    PCI Standard Host CPU Bridge
    Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator
    Printer Port Logic Interface
    System CMOS/Real time Clock
    System Speaker
    System Timer
    Terminal Server Keyboard Driver
    Terminal Server Mouse Driver
    VIA Tech CPU to ACP Controller
    VIA Tech PCI to ISA Bridge
    Volume Manager

Do I need to install chipset drivers again? If so, where would I find them and how do I install them?

I thought I better run these things by you to fix anything suggested before I run defragmenter and schedule a CHKDSK on boot drive. Speaking of CHKDSK, how do I schedule a CHKDSK? I've run CHKDSK before, but I have never scheduled it.

I had the System Restore turned off the last two days, but turned it back on last night and it is still on.

Lots of data for you. Thanks again for all your help!!!!!
    Chip
    edited May 2004
    Thanks John!

I found the following in Device Manager:
    Monitor Driver: Default Monitor
    Display Adapter: S3Graphics Prosavage DDR
    Network Adapters:
    Direct Parallell
    Netgear MA101 USB Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Netgear MA101 USB Adapter #2 Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Netgear MA101 USB Adapter #3
    Netgear MA101 USB Adapter #3 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
    VIA PCI 10/100MB Fast Ethernet Adapter
    VIA PCI 10/100MB -Packet Scheduler Miniport
    WAN Miniport (IP)
    WAN Miniport (IP) -Packet Scheduler Miniport
    WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    WAN Miniport (PPPDE)
    WAN Miniport (PPTP)

I checked the system area looking for things specific to chipset talking about Intel and had the following in System Devices: (not sure if any about Intel)
    ACPI Fixed Feature Button
    ACPI Power Button
    ACPI Sleep Button
    Direct Memory Access Controller
    ISPNP Read Data Port
    Microcode Update Device
    Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    Numeric Data Processor
    PCI Bus
    PCI Standard Host CPU Bridge
    Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator
    Printer Port Logic Interface
    System CMOS/Real time Clock
    System Speaker
    System Timer
    Terminal Server Keyboard Driver
    Terminal Server Mouse Driver
    VIA Tech CPU to ACP Controller
    VIA Tech PCI to ISA Bridge
    Volume Manager

Do I need to install chipset drivers again? If so, where would I find them and how do I install them?

I thought I better run these things by you to fix anything suggested before I run defragmenter and schedule a CHKDSK on boot drive. Speaking of CHKDSK, how do I schedule a CHKDSK? I've run CHKDSK before, but I have never scheduled it.

I had the System Restore turned off the last two days, but turned it back on last night and it is still on.

Lots of data for you. Thanks again for all your help!!!!!
    Chip

Without knowing what motherboard brand and model or chipset, normally the Via Hyperion chipset drivers directly from via will work for Vias pretty well. BUT, if you know what mfr made board, go to that mfr's site, or for right now use the CD that came with mobo if you bought it as a piece, and get chipset drivers there.

Looks like you might find the LAN card drivers and reload also, possibly.

For the monitor, look and see if when you right clcik on it and choose properties and then driver tab, if it says PNP or Plug'NPlay on driver tab, ok??? If XP finds a PNP it knows it can hook to default monitor (PNP) the right data for monitor. So, does it have a PNP there???

Now, if you only ran CHKDSK from recovery console, here is how to get GUI to start it on restart for you:

go into my computer.

Right click your HD letter that XP starts up from.

Click Properties.

click tools tab.

Click Check Now button.

On the resulting dialog, there will be some checkboxes that are empty, just squares. click in both squares, once each.

XP will make a note to itself to run CHKDSK on restart, ie schedule it for a run on restart.

Restart or let box restart if XP asks if you want to.

Not knowing how big HD is, I will say mine does a full scan of its 2\3 full 40 GB boot drive (my work and archive data all lives on an 80 GB and not on boot drive) in full scan mode, on a 3+ GHz Prescott box, in about 39 min. On a friend's 2.4+ GHz box, about the same sized HD takes an hour plus to do all checks on average. I do mine more often than he does, he finds more problems.

When should you abort CHKDSK??? After it has sat there with HD light off for at least 20-30 minutes. If HD light is on, let it run up to overnight in full check mode if you have a slower than 2 GHz box. If it totally locks, check HD with mfr diags, if not, let it restart XP by itself.

Why am I saying do a long scan??? This has two benefits-- first if HD is overheating, you will know it, as CHKDSK and the basic kernel running will either restart box and try again or hang solid if you have major errors in data part of HD, and if it completes it can bypass small minor ones this way.

Now, once you have a good CHKDSK run, and it restarts well (crosses fingers and hopes) go ahead and do the list of things above again down to tools and then click Defragment Now. I do this when I have flakes in box, sometimes wrinkles get ironed out, like corrupt backup files, etc that can not have anything to do with HD hardware itself but can have to do with XP and timing of other things running. Then I use CHKDSK failure as a pretest to tell me if I have major things goign on by every once in a while running it on the boot drive especially.

Running it outside the system admin console uses less RAM, defrag works better with more free rAM to use for itself. This is as fast as using admin console but runs defrag without running the console and monitoring stuff and loading console handlers into RAM.

This is not shortenable with explanation, gang.
  • edited June 2004
    I hate to tell everyone this but this error message is a new worm called parser. IT has been around since late 2003 and microsoft is still trying to write a code to kill it and from what i have been told from a friends of mine on the project there was been no real progress. Whatever this worm is it is damn good (not for us) and the only way to get rid of it is to do a clean sweep and reformat the computer. I have been working on this one since it first appeared on oct 19 2003. SOrry people but this is one of the best (again not for us) worms recently created!

- X :cool:
  • edited June 2004
    To the person relating this to the Parser worm.... Actually this seems to be more related to TargetSoft.inetadpt a piece of adware that sticks itself into your LSP stack.
    Just search on google for inetadpt.dll and you'll find several lengthy threads around about this and how to use lspfix to remove it.
  • edited June 2004
    Ran that through my buddy at microsoft and its a no go however it is a fix for a few other problems out there. however we tested that on 4 machine all with the line 422 and it didn'tdo anything
  • MasterxMasterx Goodyear, Az, USA
    edited June 2005
    i found out how to fix the error
    "Some system files are missing or damaged. You cannot log on at this time. Please use your installation cd to reinstall or repair windows. Error code 0x80040507"

I got the same error after a massive spyware attack, i don't know what malware program in particular did it but i found out how to fix it!

1. Boot to Safe Mode without network and without command prompt.

2. Run a full system scan with ad-aware or other spyware tool and wipe it out.

3. After a reboot back to safe mode, go to my computer, then get into your windows directory, find the system32 folder and right click it and hit properties, make sure to uncheck the read only box totally, and hit apply, then apply to folder, subfolders and files, afterward do the same to the windows root folder, you must do both, just windows didnt work for me, do both seprately.

4. Reboot and try a login, it worked perfect for me, didnt need to use recovery console, restore, or repair utilitys. if it dont werk for you call microsoft..... this kind of error is free for tech support!
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    For the record, the easiest way to check the drives properly would be to bring up a Run box and type "chkdsk C: /f /x /r" then do the same but for drive D "chkdsk D: /f /x /r" and answer "Yes" when it asks if the check should be done on restart due to the drive being in use.
  • edited June 2005
    Thanks MasterX. I just had this problem pop up out of the blue. I got into safe mode after quite a long delay. I installed "Adaware se" from a backup disc as I have just recovered from a major system rebuild and had not installed my spyware detectors yet. As I have only been back up and running for a week it found only three entries in the registry and flagged them as extremly harmful. I tried the read only settings but windows seems to control that. Rebooted and all is well. I will never go online without spyware blockers like "Spybot-Search and Destroy", "Adaware" and "SpywareBlaster" installed. The only way this drek could have gotten in my system was when I was retrieving updates for my windows and symantec products as I was rebuilding my system. A little tip: to stop some of this from the start is to block all third party cookies ifrom the advanced internet options settings. Below is what caused this as logged by Adaware:

FIZZLEBAR
    »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
    obj[0]=Regkey : toolbarbesttoolbarstoolbar.besttoolbarstoolbarobject
    obj[1]=Regkey : toolbarbesttoolbarstoolbar.besttoolbarstoolbarobject.1

SOFTOMATE TOOLBAR
    obj[2]=Regkey : interface\{cabbb49a-4d7b-415b-8250-15c3b854e9ff}
    obj[3]=Regkey : software\classes\toolbarbesttoolbarstoolbar.besttoolbarstoolbarobject
    obj[4]=Regkey : software\classes\toolbarbesttoolbarstoolbar.besttoolbarstoolbarobject.1

WINDOWS
    obj[5]=RegData : scrfile\shell\open\command ""

TRACKING COOKIE
    obj[6]=IECache Entry : Cookie:eric@z1.adserver.com/
    obj[7]=IECache Entry : Cookie:eric@live365.com/
    obj[8]=IECache Entry : Cookie:eric@fastclick.net/

Good luck all. :thumbsup: