Strange Behavior With Files in My Docs

I seem to have some sort of bug or something, but the video files I have in My Docs seem to be attaching themselves to running processes and they cannot be deleted. I deleted the one I thought was the problem with Command Prompt, but it moved to a different video file. My Norton AV software doesn't do jack...here is a list of my running processes from HiJackThis:

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\1XConfig.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\Quickset.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\HHVcdV5Sys\VC5Play.exe
C:\Program Files\Virtual CD v5\System\VC5Tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4ss.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4gui.exe
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4gui.exe
C:\Program Files\HHVcdV5Sys\VC5SecS.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://us.f412.mail.yahoo.com/ym/login?.rand=9v97620ncv4ns
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\Spybot\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\Quickset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeadAIM] rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\AIM\\DeadAIM.ocm",ExportedCheckODLs
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VC5Player] C:\Program Files\HHVcdV5Sys\VC5Play.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe -silent
O4 - Startup: MemTurbo.lnk = C:\Program Files\Silicon Prairie Software\MemTurbo\memturbo.exe
O4 - Global Startup: MemTurbo.lnk = C:\Program Files\Silicon Prairie Software\MemTurbo\memturbo.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.windowsupdate.com
O16 - DPF: {917623D1-D8E5-11D2-BE8B-00104B06BDE3} (CamImage Class) - http://198.189.55.240/activex/AxisCamControl.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?38119.6693171296
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

Thank you very much for all the help!

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    go to run, type cmd

type "cd my documents"

press return

type "del filename.ext", where filename is the name of the file, and the extension is the type (.avi, .mpg, whatever)

repeat for all the files that were giving you trouble.
  • edited May 2004
    Actually I've already deleted files with the command prompt but it didn't do anything. What happens is this bug or whatever it is attaches itself to a different video file in My Docs. I thought it was just the one video file I downloaded but it switches to something else once deleted. I have Norton AV 2003 and Kerio Personal Firewall, and I've never witnessed and strange behavior in their areas....Kerio has never alerted me of a virus trying to compromise Norton. I've also done the remote virus scan from McAfee.com and nothing was found. Anybody else have any ideas?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    This sounds like a problem that windows has. When windows tries to get the thumbnail for the video file, and if it is corrupted windows never actually gets it, and never closes the video file. This is why deleting from the command prompt works, but not from explorer. Are you having this problem with just video files, or any others?
  • edited May 2004
    So far it has only been video files. You were right about the file being corrupted though. It would not work when I originally opened it because it was corrupted, but I don't list the icons in thumbnail view. I deleted the corrupted file with command prompt and it shifted to a different video file. You don't think this problem is virus related?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Are these all AVI files??? I do not have that totally clear. I THINK Windows Media Player had a problem reading AVIs that relates to this, but with that it only happened with AVIs and there was a specific WMP upgrade that fixed that-- what happened with one subrev of WMP is that on opening an AVI, open or thumbnail display was delayed until it had read the whole thing, box looked locked until it had done so.... I can look more if this is the only file type, figure out exactly where to get it and exactly which patch it is. There was also a reg fix to turn that off which Microsoft had as a workaround, which lost you your thumbnails for AVI until the patch came out.