Kazaa Derivatives Offer RIAA-Blocking Features

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Kazaa Lite 2.4.0 and Kazaa K++ 2.4.0, both recently released, contain hooks to the PeerGuardian IP address database. This will allow Kazaa to actively attempt to block scans by RIAA and other agencies.

The RIAA's scans are attempts by the organisation to discover which users are illegally sharing copyrighted files. It is quite noticeable that the developers of the two Kazaa based programs, in there latest releases, have being making concerted efforts to combat certain security issues which are inherent to peer to peer file sharing services.

Most users of the latest versions will have probably also noticed the programs added ability to block port 1214, which ordinarily allows remote users to see what other files the user has. Another fact that I think clearly illustrates exactly how determined the developers are about locking down their software.

So it seems certain peer to peer software developers are in fact prepared to take the P2P war to a new level.

The full report:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1191088,00.asp

Comments

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Hehe I laughed my ass off when I saw the "Block bad IP ranges (e.g. RIAA)" setting. Ownage.