Thread Closings

edited May 2004 in Community
I'm baffled as to why the thread about next year's lan was closed. I believe that for the most part the discussion was healthy although it did begin to get long in the tooth. I don't think that would be a legitimate reason to close down a thread and shut down further discussion on the subject. Is "beating a dead horse" grounds for closing down a thread? Why not let users decide for themselves and if that's the case I'm sure for the most part they are quite capable of making that choice themselves and not participate in it or not even read it. I kept up with that thread closely and didn't see any community standards violated or any legitimate reason for closing it down. I can understand why some mods didn't agree with what was being discussed but the vast majority of it was healthy discussion and not meant to offend anyone whatsoever. I've re-read the forum rules to see if I was missing anything. I'm quite aware that this is a private site and that the owners/mods/admins reserve the right to edit posts and make changes as necessary but I would hope that more discretion would be used before closing threads as this. If it is indeed "beating a dead horse" why not let the thread take its own course and die on its own as most around here are quite intelligent enough to recognize threads like that that on their own. There were no outright attacks on anyone nor was anyone intended to be offended by any posts in there from what I can see. Anyone would be hard pressed to say that they value personal expression and freedom (taken from forum rules) when closing down relevant discussions as this. All I request is that more discretion be used, keeping violations of community standards in mind, before closing discussions as this down in the future. Thanks.

KingFish

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I'm reopening it. I just stated that I wanted to take a personal breather from LAN discussions, not necessarily end the discussion. It was a misunderstanding.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    The thread didn't violate any forum rules. Generally, those type of items are removed. Sometimes, (though very rarely) a thread won't die on its own. Please note that I do take closing threads seriously and don't do it very often. I started a thread in the staff area regarding the closing directly afterward for comments.

In this case, it seemed that the discussion was aggrevating an admin, causing needless disagreements, and not accomplishing anything. Rather than let this situation continue until it ran out of steam, I took a pro-active approach and paused it until the organizer is ready to continue.

It was not a matter of intelligence or intended offense. Once in a while stuff like that happens and it is a moderator's job to guide it away from becoming something worse. In this case, I decided it was in the community's best interest to continue the discussion later.

As always, my PM box is always open for question, comments, and concerns about the site. And, of course, an administrator may make a different decision to which I would not take offense.

//edit: And one did :p primesuspect posted that while I was typing.
  • edited May 2004
    Thanks prime :)
    I know you didn't close the thread and that was not directed at you in any way. I can certainly understand why you would need a breather from that discussion after pouring the time, effort, and money into the first LAN to make it a success only to come back and face discussions of moving it elsewhere. I proposed the idea of moving the event to a central location to make it more accessible driving-wise to the most people and was staying objective to that point. However, the further the thread went, the more I realized that it looked like it wouldn't be feasible because of all the variables needed to come into place to make it successful. I applaud your efforts for the LAN as I know it takes quite a bit of time and energy to pull it off like you did. One thing you can't replace is good people with talent that are motivated to do a good job. I was particularly caught by your statement that George would let you drill holes in the flooring to accomodate the electricity problem. People like that are good as gold IMO. Thanks for re-opening the thread to discussion. I think the more it's discussed, whether it's beat to death or not, will make for a good LAN with proper planning. It's still quite a bit off, time is on our side. Cheers!

KF
  • edited May 2004
    Thanks for the reply Russell. Your reply made it into the forums while I was working on my reply to prime's reply. I'm not privy to all the behind-the-scenes activity so I was unaware of what was happening on that level and it does make a little more sense now that I'm aware of it. I do think we were accomplishing things though as it heightened my awareness of all the factors needed to make a successful LAN the more the thread went on. Yes it did get bogged down and I believed it was on the verge of dying on its own but I wanted to express a few other things about the LAN and then discovered to my dismay that the thread was closed. I saw the downward direction it was taking and even addressed that in a post because I didn't want the thread to take that direction myself. I appreciate the openness of the reply Russell and, again, thanks for the reply :)

KF