Ping vs Frame rate

KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
edited July 2003 in Gaming
Me and one of my friends disagree on whether or not your ping affects your frame rate.

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Ping should not affect your framerate. It may affect the time it takes data and character location to refresh, but not your framerate. That is affected by your hardware.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited July 2003
    Ping is the time in ms it takes your PC to reach a location. Frame rate is how fast your video card draws to the monitor. Ping and Framerate are different and have almost no relation, except to the CPU (If you're CPU can't instruct the NIC card to send a PING packet out for instance).
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    As was already said, ping doesnt affect frame rate, though in some severely adverse conditions games my start to go a bit wrong when your ping reaches very high levels, but they are more likely to just stop.

NS
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited July 2003
    Oh, I am not sure exaclty sure how the system works, but I am pretty sure what you set you connection as in ravenshield somehow regulates your fps. Don't quote me though.
  • BusterBuster New York
    edited July 2003
    When you change to dial up in ravenshield it makes your framerates max out at 30 and my video card can run 60 perfectly. :bawling:
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    In Star Wars Galaxies, I can get a max of 30FPS, with pings ranging from 850ms on a busy server to 85ms on a fast server.