Disk Cleanup

KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I wanted to run disk cleanup, but it wouldn't get passed compress old files. So I decided to defrag. About 5-6 hours later it finnished and I rebooted. Then I tryed again. It didn't make any difference. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Lots and lots of old files, you just need to give it time........... looooots of time....

NS
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited July 2003
    Still there apears to be no progress.
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited July 2003
    It is still going. It is like the energizer bunny.
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited July 2003
    It is still going, going and going.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Patience is indeed a virtue.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    Give it time, leave it overnight or something, as long as it appears to be doing something, e.g the hard drive light is flashing a lot, and task manager clearly shows its using your CPU, it just needs time. Like folk have said.;)

If you've left it overnight and it still hasn't done it, then there's a problem, but you have to have left it running overnight before we can really say it's not working.:D

Also, shouldn't this thread really be in the software forum.:rolleyes:
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited July 2003
    I decided to try it again later. Yesterday I tried it again, it ran for 19 hours. So last night, I uninstalled and deleted everthing that I no longer use. Now I am trying it again, at 11:30 EST it will have run for 24 hours. I am planning on letting it run probably until I wake up tomarrow.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    The defrag usually restarts if there is any writing to the disk, so if you are running any programs like folding, it can make the program never finish :/
    edited July 2003
    shwaip said
    The defrag usually restarts if there is any writing to the disk, so if you are running any programs like folding, it can make the program never finish :/

I thought we were talking about DISK CLEANUP not a defrag program?

We are talking about Disk Cleanup aren't we? the application which deletes you temp files etc etc?

Presuming that that is still the case, I think you probably have a problem, as it shouldn't run for that long. I suggest you try using another application which does a similar job and see if you have the same problems. An example would be Symantecs Web Cleanup, which is part of Norton System Works but there are many others, freeware included.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    indeed.

/me backs out of thread slowly
    edited July 2003
    shwaip said
    indeed.

* shwaip backs out of thread slowly

Not to worry bud, I know where you might have got confused, I also had to re-read the first post a couple of times just to double check after you posted.;)
  • fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited July 2003
    hi ho, hi ho, to general software we go
  • MarkTAWMarkTAW Brooklyn, NY
    edited July 2003
    shwaip said

This has been my experience too.
  • MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited July 2003
    I've used these and they work great BUT I am not endorseing them. Read their disclaimers and bug reports!

http://www.toniarts.com/ecleane.htm v1.7

http://www.toniarts.com/betas.htm v2.0 Beta

http://www.langa.com/cleanup_bat.htm
  • maggie99635maggie99635 Alaska
    edited July 2003
    Here is the fix http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812248 it usually happens on upgrades. Just uncheck compress files and when you get to the screen. It shouldn't happen again.
    edited July 2003
    Excellent find, thanks for posting Maggie'.

KilJaeden, does the above fix cure it?
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited July 2003
    I am attempting the fix. I am having trouble finding:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches

I will post any progress that I make.
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited July 2003
    Well, it worked and this time it only took about 5 seconds. The reason why it took me a while to reply, is that I have been training for the marines. Thats right, the marines. I hope that I will get a spot at an nrotc program.
  • maggie99635maggie99635 Alaska
    edited July 2003
    KilJaeden, Sempir fi! Glad you finally found it.