Digital Camera Recommendation

NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
edited June 2004 in Internet & Media
So I recently graduated from HS (...like today recently :)) and found out that my parents would be buying me a digital camera as a graduation present. Now, I am THE worst shopper, I'll stand in the isle and ask myself if I really need this and that, or would it really be worth it, or do I really need it, but since someone else is paying, I figure I might as well sit back and enjoy. This would be my first digital camera, and its use would be for...i guess "normal" life?

I'm not looking for the top of the line, as I am not going to be modeling in front of this thing, I'm looking for an all-around good camera as far as image quality, price, features, ease of use, connectability, and anything else that you digital camera owners have found that I may have forgotten about. I hate having my parents spend money on me, so anything around ~$200 would be the best. I'm not really sure about which megapixes would fit me best, I don't really want grainy pictures though, so I'm figureing 2 megapixels or greater, would I be right? I'm currently looking up on the subject of digital cameras, but I figured you guys would be the best place to start, since you know so damn much about everything and do a great job of getting it across too. :buck:

Thanks for your time, yet again.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    3 MP for decent printing results, 2 MP if just from stuff on screen or on web. I went to a 4 MP, will not even say what all I spent on a setup. Get a case, though, you will need padding for camera in case of drops, the less expensive ones can die when dropped. If you think your folks can afford it, go for a 3 MP instead of a 2 MP, else get a good 2 MP for now, plan on a 3 MP for printing or a 4 MP if you have a good photo grade printer like an Epson C84 and want enlarged prints. Rule of printing size to MP thumb:

2 MP, 4x6 printed
    3 MP, up to 5x7 printed, decent but not pro quality (pros are using 5+ to 8 MPs these days, SLR style, they want photo prints up to 9x12 or bigger, and interchangeable lenses)
    4 MP, 8X10 prints decent.

Lets get down to what MP based ion any need to print family pics, your pics, etc, can come up with more specifics that way....

Brands-- Camedia (Olympus), Fuji, Konica, the newer series of Kodak if you get one that COMES with a datasync cradle, for general use. Bigger MP, better distance shots, generally.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I agree about the 3 or 3.25mp ...I print 8X10's from mine all of the time with outstanding quality.
    You won't be disappointed.
    Also agree...get a case and if extra money allows rechargable batteries, recharger, and more mem.
    Of course you could get those options now but definitely get the case (-$10).
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Walmart had a case kit that came with 4 NImH batteries, charger, and mini-tripod for about $20.00. Generic brand (Digital Concepts), case was well padded and had space for extra memory, etc. My Camedia 4000 Zoom fits fine, with manual, 12 extra batteries, three memory modules, etc in it. It has a carry strap, handle, and belt loop on it (case).

What I gave for printing was based on 10-15' distant pics.... Smaller MP does better with close shots....
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited June 2004
    This (Canon Powershot A70, 3.2MP) is a nice one. Very well rated and a good camera for the beginner and allows a lot of experimentation. A little more will give you the A75 (a little different look and some innards upgrades).

Amazon Link
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    1. Pictures are only good if you take a lot of them.
    2. You can only take pictures if you have the camera.
    3. You will only carry the camera if it is easy.
    One word, Kyocera.
    the SL300R is very small, very fast and takes great pictures. One of my daughters friends has one and I lust for it.
    I have seen them for $250-300. Oh, buy extra storage.
    http://www.mysimon.com/4014-6501-30544004.html?q=Kyocera&tag=match
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    I bought an HP and I don't really like it. On the other hand, I've used friends' Fuji cameras and found them to be more user friendly and better overall. I'm returning mine for one of those.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    I have a 5mp Olympus C50, and I love it. The color balance is excellent, macro mode is good, pictures are very clear. Uses XD cards.

But I'm biased. :)