Sound problem

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Ok i have a problem with my sound, i formatted my pc...now im up and running again i have no sound, when i goto control panels sound options i cant click anything...i dont have the disks that came with the pc because its my friends pc ( im using it while hes visiting his mum in scotland )

Its an Intel Pentium 4 2.53 GHz...not sure what other infomation you might need to help me, if you need any more infomation about the pc, tell me what info you would need

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Do you know if you're using the integrated sound or a third-party soundcard?
  • edited June 2004
    It doesnt have a sound card...on-board sound
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Ok, do you know what motherboard it is?

We can track down integrated sound drivers for you then. :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    As Thrax stated... Most Integrated sound cards need the motherboard to have its driver installed correctly before the sound device even shows up. After the motherboard has its drivers, then you'll need to install the drivers for the sound.

All we need is the manufacturer of the motherboard (ASUS, ABIT, Gigabyte, etc...) and the model number (KG7, IS7, K8V-DLX , etc...) <b>or</b> the manufacturer of the entire system (Dell, HP, E-Machines, Sony...)
  • edited June 2004
    Ok, I looked in sisoft sandra, and heres what it told me about the mainboard...

Mainboard
    Manufacturer NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL
    MP Support 1 CPU(s)
    MPS Version 1.40
    Model SiS651
    Version 1.x

If that info's not right..could you tell me where to go to find the right infomation please :)
    edited June 2004
    If the case says it's a NEC.... Look for a model Name and model number on the front somewhere. It should be something like this...
    Powermate ML4...

It may be one this one...
    <b>PowerMate ML4 Convertible - SIS 650 / 651 Chipset</b>
    CPU Socket 478B
    Supports Intel P4 FC-PGA2 (Flip-Chip Pin Grid Array), 1400 MHz to 2.6 GHz
    Chipset SIS 650 / 651 depending on the model
    On-board graphics.
    Soft audio onboard STAC9756T(Direct sound AC97 2.2 audio).

If so.... go to NEC's Support Page

Click on Desktop, then look for the model that looks like your PC... then click download and select the drivers for the motherboard and the sound...
  • edited June 2004
    Ok, this might sound weird, it does to me...the case says Packard Bell and it doesnt say anything on the front of the case apart from Windows XP Home Edition and Intel Pentium 4
  • edited June 2004
  • edited June 2004
    Actually my pc has one differant thing to that...over the USB ports at the bottom theres a flap coverin them
    edited June 2004
    OK... Packard Bell has a serial number lookup (Thank God)... On the rear of the case, there should be a serial number... enter that into the serial number lookup and it should give you the model info for your PC. Then it's a matter of downloading the chipset driver(s) and the sound card driver...

If you'd like, PM the serial number and I can take a look at what you need to download... up to you.
  • edited June 2004
    WOOOHOO !! i typed in the serial number, downloaded and installed the sound driver and now i have sound!!! thanks alot to everyone that helped me

Sparky
    edited June 2004
    Cool.... I like happy endings!!!
  • edited September 2006
    I have the CODE 10 error. Cannot play soud coz device not found/not working properly.
    Here are my specs:
    System Model ( mother board )
    Enclosure Type: Desktop

Multimedia ( Sound card )
    MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
    Standard Game Port
    Probably not detecting the onboard sound device

Main Circuit Board
    Board: SiS-650
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 01/30/2002

Memory ( ram)