p2b-ds and p3

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited September 2008 in Hardware
i have a dual p2, clocked at 600mhz oin an asus p2b-ds...now here is the problem, when i put the computer on...nothing works...the fans dont even spin for sum reason..but when i have my p2s in there...the fans spin without a problem.... i mean i KNOW the comp is on (the psu fan spins)... ALSO ive tried to hook up fans directly to the psu..they work just fine...ive tried both, a antec true power550w and an enermax 350w both dont work

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    So when exactly doesnt it work? I dont quite understand.'

You say P3 in the title but not in the thread?
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2003
    I'm guessing he's got a set of dual P3-600's & dual P2's, as I've never heard of anyone getting a P2 "Deschutes" up to or over 600 MHz without some highly extensive cooling.

Have you flashed the board with the latest BIOS available for it (however old that may be)...?

You do know that when you only have 1 CPU installed, you MUST utilize the ASUS C-P2T PC100 CPU Termination Card revision 1.02 or later in order for the system to boot. The P2B-DS is very picky about that.

Note,

You can install either Pentium II or Pentium III on the motherboard with a maximum speed of 8x 133MHz, which would be the 1.06 GHz chip. The motherboard will support Coppermine chips with BIOS update.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    alright here is the deal
    dual p2, 450mhz at 450mhz, everything boots up fine
    dual p3, 600mhz at 600mhz, i turn the power on...the power fan goes on...the fans connected to the mobo dont, but the fan connected directly to the psu does. in addition to this, the system refuses to boot....i tried out a 550w psu to see if power was the problem...it wasnt
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Are you sure the processors are good?

Sim: Not always true, I ran a P2B-DS for two years with only one proc (a P2-400) and no terminator card, and it worked flawlessly.

Also, I have just built a P2B-DS with dual 1.3 (or is it 1.13? I forget) coppermine P3-Tualatins, so the 1.06 max is also not true. You need special voltage regulation (Powerleap Slotkets) but it works great.

WuG: Make sure you have the latest BETA bios (1014), but I think maybe one of the procs might be bad. Try them one at a time just to see if you can get a boot.
    edited July 2003
    but then why wouldnt the fans work??i mean of all things..the fans?
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2003
    Well the working of the fans depends completely on the logic in the controller. While you might think the fans get a straight connection from the powersupply, the m/b might have some sort of gating involving for whatever reasons that means the fan doesn't get power. Are the connectors of the p3's clean and undamanged?
    edited July 2003
    the motherboard and the CPU are working very well, but they are not working together, you need Katmai slot1 CPU which is 600/512/100/2.0v ( or 2.05v) , the one you purchase from me was 600E/256/100/1.65v which is call Coppermine.

you have the compatibility problems, that s all. You didnt ask me before made purchased. But dont worry , i can help you out.
    Just give me a call i will show you and help you out. Kevin M

this is what the dude said that i bought it off of
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    At least he has a firm grasp of Engrish......
    edited July 2003
    well...is he right...who cares about his english...mine is horrible
  • edited September 2008
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    the motherboard and the CPU are working very well, but they are not working together, you need Katmai slot1 CPU which is 600/512/100/2.0v ( or 2.05v) , the one you purchase from me was 600E/256/100/1.65v which is call Coppermine.

you have the compatibility problems, that s all. You didnt ask me before made purchased. But dont worry , i can help you out.
    Just give me a call i will show you and help you out. Kevin M

this is what the dude said that i bought it off of

I own a p2b-ds too, and recently bought a couple of SL4KL (1000/256/100/1.7v), and they doesnt work. i have 1013 BIOS, can you help me?

Thanks in Advance,
    Claudio