Barton Goodness

edited June 2003 in Hardware
"I oc by little bit at a time" the infamous wolf...

But seriously, I'm slowly pushing faster and faster.

A7N8X Deluxe (rev 1.04)
Barton 2500+
SLK-700 w/ TMD Fan
2X256MB PC3200 Mushkin (at 6-2-2-2T)

Any ideas what my upper limit might be?

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    You might be able to reach about 3000+ barton speeds, that might be pushing it though, how stable are you running right now?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    You should get 2.2-2.3 out of that.
  • edited June 2003
    While folding, it was running at 47-48 C according to MBM5. No lockups or problems yet.

Tonight, I'm gonna push the FSB to 185 (or maybe 186.)

Just keep nudging it up.

How hot, routinely, should I let it run. I was thinking of stopping when my full load temp is >50C? I know Athlons can run as high as 90... ... not mine.

//EDIT
    PS: I'm running the latest BIOS revision on my A7N8X.

PPS: Anyone know a way to "swap" a rev 1.04 for a rev 2?
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Right now on a Water Cooled system my Barton 2500+ is doing 2.25ghz FSB333 @ v1.85 Temp 38-41C (running F@H for 36hrs and counting - If it can't run F@H It aint stable)

Try to Keep it under 55C. Actual CPU temps are ~10C higher than the Bios reports. Most Athlon mobos use a contact Temp sensor rather than the CPU Thermal Diode. They only use the Thermal Diode for the Over Temp CPU Shutoff function (someone correct me if I'm wrong...)
    edited June 2003
    Nice Omega. What memory you running in your system? And I'm pretty sure you are right about the contact temp sensor thing also.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    about the temp thing, i think it depends on the mobo manufacture raather than the CPU itself, some manufacture likes to use the die temp rather than the surface temp, for examp,le i think some of the kt400 boards does it, maybe KD7???

and i know for sure my 8rda+ use the surface temp for reporting, and die temp for safety.
  • edited June 2003
    Well, I just ordered me a 2500 to stick in my A7N8X Dlx. It will be interesting to say the least, what my proc will do compared to yours. I guess I'll have to flash my bios as I'm still running one of the earlier uber bioses on my board.

BTW, MBM will read the core temp, which Asus probe won't. MBM reads around 3-4 C higher than Asus probe with my SLK800. Presently reading 37 C with a board temp of 25 C while folding, running my Tbred B 2100 @ 166 X 12.5 and 1.75v.
    edited June 2003
    Clutch said
    Nice Omega. What memory you running in your system? And I'm pretty sure you are right about the contact temp sensor thing also.

I'm running Kingston HyperX PC3500 , & it will do FSB 217mhz @ Cas 2, but I'm only running FSB333 with a 13.5x multi. The Barton is destined for a Dual Processor board running 140-150mhz.

Also as far as I know only the Epox 8K3A+ used the thermal diode for CPU Temp. When customers starting asking why their CPU temp were so much higher than before, they discarded its use.
    edited June 2003
    So far Barton #2 is doing as well as #1. 2.25ghz @ v1.85 Temp 41C (on water).. I'm going to let it fold for 2 or 3 days and then it's time for surgery!
  • edited June 2003
    With everything at stock settings, I can't get into Windows above a 187 FSB, <s>at 187 FSB, everything's golden. </s>

Do I need to up my voltage? My temps are currently around 47 while gromac crunching.

//EDIT:
    It's now giving me pagefault in non paged area bsod's...

huh?

Thoughts?
    edited June 2003
    Your problem might heat, voltage or FSB. Drop down to 166.7 and try increasing the Multi from 12x to 12.5x (+2083mhz). Next increase vcore in .05v steps until stable. If you cant stablilize it, and/or your CPU temps are in in the high 40s/ low 50s you may have hit a wall as far as your cooling is concerned.
    edited June 2003
    Back down on the fsb for now. I'm with omega on this one, your cooling might be the bottleneck here.
  • edited June 2003
    I'm going along with Omega and Clutch also, about the heat. I have the same board as you and if you are reading those temps with Asus Probe, then your core temp is at least 5-10 C hotter than what it shows. You can test to see if it is cooling related by temporarily having another fan set up to blow air towards your TMD. Don't mount the temporary fan closer than about 4-5 inches or you will create too much turbulence for it to do any good. I've done this several times to see if more airflow helps on cooling without actually changing the fan out on the hs.

The suggestion about dropping the fsb speed back and upping the multi is a good one too as my rev 1.04 A7N8X gets kind of flaky at around 188-190 fsb, running the 1002 b1 uber bios.
  • edited June 2003
    For now, I'm running FSB 180. It works fine.
    /me knocks on wood
    What sorta difference might I expect if I use a Fan Adapter. (70mm -> 92mm) Which 92mm fan should I use?

A sunon 51CFM fan? only 9 bucks

I'll try pushing the multi this afternoon.
    edited June 2003
    Fan adapters don't work (well) in "blow" mode (but are Ok in "suck" mode => Alpha heatsinks.

The funnel constriction creates more pressure than axial fans can overcome. Your bigger fan won't be any more efficient at blowing air than the fan you replace.

You need either a SLK800 (with a 50cfm fan (total ~$35)) or a water system (~$150).
  • edited June 2003
    I'm such a nOOb. I'm now running at 11.0 X 193, so far so good.
    /me knocks on wood
    I upped the vcore to 1.750. According to MBM 5, my socket temp, ASUS 2 is 42 Celsius and the Diode temp is only 38C. Seems fishy to me... Even the 42 is acceptable...

I'll keep nudging the FSB, see what I can get.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited June 2003
    i am able to get to 2100 (3000+) with 200x10.5 with mine

pushing the mutiplyer to 11 the system fails RAM tset:rolleyes:

the ram has been at 200 fsb with 8.2.2.2 timing from the start
  • edited June 2003
    So far, I've pushed my 2500 I got Wednesday up to 11 X 200 with 1.7v vcore, solid as a rock. I think there is a decent bit more left in this proc, but I plan to do some testing in different mobo's first before I really max it out on my A7N8X.

$93 isn't a bad price for an XP3200+ though.
    edited June 2003
    My Barton Maxes out @ 2.33ghz v1.85 even pushing it to 2.0 doesn't help.

I was hoping for 2.40 but I'm more than satisfied with 2.33ghz (PR3200+)