Adaptec 1210SA Raid Adapter

oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
edited June 2004 in Hardware
Has anyone had any experience with this particular adapter? I'm wondering if it is known to have issues.

==Particulars==
About 6 months ago one of my techs setup a machine using this controller and two Maxtor DiamondMax + 9 SATA (160 GB) HD's. The setup of the machine looks like this:

Drive 0 - IDE (OS Boot - W2K Server SP4)
Drive 1 - SATA
Drive 2 - SATA

Raid-1 (D1/D2)

Over this period of time the array has gone into a "degraded" condition at minimum a total of 6 times. We have replaced the adapter, SATA cables, as well as both SATA drives.

I'm currently rebuilding this machine myself and have decided to just use software RAID for the time being. Eventually I'd like to get it back using hardware RAID; however, I'm thinking a different controller (brand and/or model) may be the place to start. Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks
Ocomik

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2004
    I have been setting up and tuning raid systems since mid 80's anyway and I have never had a single adaptec that I liked the performance on. I have not touched that particular card.

Can you share more info? What MB, cpu etc...

Tex
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited June 2004
    Tex wrote:
    I have been setting up and tuning raid systems since mid 80's anyway and I have never had a single adaptec that I liked the performance on. I have not touched that particular card.

Can you share more info? What MB, cpu etc...

Tex

Intel D845GERG2
    Pentium IV 3.06 GHZ
    1GB RAM

Please let me know if any add'l info is needed. Thanks.

Ocomik
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2004
    Check and see what the pci latency is for just the controller if you don't mind. Sandra will cough up the info ofr ya.

Tex