Java.Trojan.Exploit.Bytverify

entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
edited June 2004 in Spyware & Virus Removal
6 infected files in the Sun Java folder ... and it can't disinfect them or move them .. and bitdefender pro refuses to start in safe mode ... any idea on how to get rid of this? doesn't seem like it's causing any problems at all but i don't want it on here lol

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2004
    Can you manually delete them in SAFE MODE?

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.byteverify.html
    1 - Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
    2 - Update the virus definitions.
    3 - Restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode.
    4 - Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Trojan.ByteVerify.

That is for Norton users, but if you already know the file names and locations, you should be able to manually delete them in safe mode.

Dexter...
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2004
    holy hell ... if i didn't know better i'd say you were standing over my shoulder watching what i was typing and responding while i was doing so :eek2: not sure, i'll give it a shot
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2004
    oh, it's in the c:\docs & settings\user\app data\sun\java\deployment\cache\javapi\v1\jar\ .. should i target the specific files or can i just pop 'em all?
    edited June 2004
    They didn't give me this for nothing, you know ;)

Dexter...
    edited June 2004
    entr0py wrote:
    oh, it's in the c:\docs & settings\user\app data\sun\java\deployment\cache\javapi\v1\jar\ .. should i target the specific files or can i just pop 'em all?

Just manually move to that folder and delete the files listed in your scan.

Dexter...
    edited June 2004
    And make sure you have run Windows Updates lately to ensure you have patched the vulnerability the exploit targeted. The security bulletin is over a year old:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-011.mspx

so if you have been doing Windows Updates, you should be safe from the Trojan itself, but it's always nice to clean out the trash....

Dexter...