No dvd drive listed in "My Computer"

fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
edited June 2004 in Hardware
I installed a new round cable about a week ago, and im just now noticing my DVD drive wasnt listed in "My Computer" (Im uncertain if it is related to me switching to a single dual-device IDE cable from 2 IDE cables). Apparently I had Daemon Tools emulating 1 drive, so Ive been assuming that was the real drive ( just worked out that I havnt used my dvd drive in a week).
I got a cd yesterday with a Power Point Presentation on it, so I hit eject and put it in..... Nothing happened. Checked My computer and clicked on the dvd drive (the virtual one, but thought it was the real one at the time), then it said to put a disk in the drive. *Hmmm, maybe Daemon is messing it all up.* So I disable all emulated drives, and now there are no drives listed in My Computer :zombie:
So I check bios, and DVDRW is the primary master, with the hard drive as primary slave..... :wtf: . At the post screen, same thing: the DVDRW is primary master and the hard drive is primary slave. I can get to windows fine. Everything else seems to work fine.
So...... any ideas?

Edit:\\ Whats ironic is I dont have a Floppy Drive.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Is it listed in the device manager?
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited June 2004
    The only thing listed under "Disk Drives" is the my hard drive.
    edited June 2004
    Mine are listed under an entry called DVD/CD-ROM drives. I assume from your reply that you don't have that one?

Do you still have the old cable that you could try out?
    edited June 2004
    Correct, there is no entry called "DVD/CD-Rom Drives".
    I will fiddle with it a bit and try out my old cables.
    edited June 2004
    Also....
    At the moment I cannot even get the the drive to eject. Kinda odd that I could yesterday :wtf:
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2004
    Check your jumpers on your drive to make sure its set right. dont use cable select, and if its on by itself, look for a single drive jumper setting. check your power connection while you are at it.

~dodo
    edited June 2004
    There is power going to the drive because the light on it flashes when I boot the comp up.
    edited June 2004
    The power connection may be loose or half-in...just try taking it out and putting it back in and/or a different molex connector.
    edited June 2004
    Odd....
    I have the dvd drive set to cable select. The new dual-device round cable is in IDE1, and only connected to the hardrive (slave on the cable). One of the old dual-device cables is in IDE2 and only connected to the DVD drive(Primary on cable). I boot up, and after a long start up I get a message that tells me that my new hardware has been successfully installed, but I need to restart for it to work. I restart and I now have a DVD drive listed in My Computer.... but I also have an ugly-a** ribbon cable. Im gonna mess with it a bit more and see where this all takes me.
    edited June 2004
    If you set the hard drive to master, and the dvd to slave, and use the single round cable, it should work, but keep in mind that the hard drive will be limited to ATA33 transfer speeds.

~dodo
    edited June 2004
    dodo wrote:
    If you set the hard drive to master, and the dvd to slave, and use the single round cable, it should work, but keep in mind that the hard drive will be limited to ATA33 transfer speeds.

~dodo
    Right on the money!!! Thanks for the help guys.
    Now dodo, how did you come up with that? Just a guess? It works but I dont know why :buck: .
    edited June 2004
    Sometimes cable select doesnt play nicely with the drives, its much easier to set it on the drives themselves. Setting the harddrive to master might help it when its looking for a boot device in BIOS, but ive just always put harddrives on master when making a single cable setup. It works anyhow, thats good!

~dodo
    edited June 2004
    Alrighty :)
    Thanks again.