AOL 9.0 Optimized Preview

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
The U.S PC Mag, PC Magazine has posted a news article about their recent venture to have a sneek peek at AOL 9.0 Optimized. Apparently, the most significant software upgrade in AOL History. Okay, AOL... whatever you say.
Earlier this week, PC Magazine editors were invited to the Time & Life building on Manhattan's Sixth Avenue for a peek at AOL 9.0 Optimized—the new version of both the American Online dial-up service and AOL for Broadband—which will be available to AOL members through an exclusive preview later this summer. Just nine months after launching the last revision to its online service, the company calls 9.0 Optimized "the most significant upgrade in AOL history."
AOL groups improvements to the service into three categories: "safety and security," "making it easier," and "bringing the fun back." "We talked to over 40,000 consumers and this is what they wanted," says Jeffery D. Kimball, vice president of America Online.

In the area of safety and security, the company has added an anti-virus scanner that will regularly update signatures when users log on to the service, a personal firewall for protecting data from outside intruders, new customizable spam filters for weeding out unwanted messages from email inboxes, and enhanced parental controls. "With AOL 9.0, you can now customize what Web sites your children go to," says Kimball. "So, even if AOL hasn't sanctioned my third grade daughter's school Web site, I can sanction it." Users will also be able to limit the time their children spend online.

Features such as AOL's new "QuickViews" could make the service easier to use. A QuickView is a terse menu of information that will pop up when you mouse over an AOL icon. Placing the cursor over the "Finance" icon at the top of the screen, for instance, would pop-up a QuickView offering the state of the major stock markets as well as the current prices of stocks in your portfolio. "We've worked hard to take clicks out of the process," says Kimball. Other QuickViews will pop up when you mouse over the mail and instant messenger icons.

The service will include a new search box. Typing a word, phrase, or number into the box running across the top of the screen, will result in a menu of different ways to act on that item. If you type in AOL, for instance, you'll be able to choose to search the Web for "AOL," go to the keyboard "AOL," or look at the current stock quote for "AOL." Keying in "10128," would let you search the Web for that zip code or bring up a map of that zip code.

AOL is also enhancing its mail client. A new "Manage mail" tab is designed to help members better organize messages. A new "Search Mail" tab will offer members a way to, AOL says, easily locate messages. Members will also be able to store up to 20MB of mail on AOL's servers—per screen name. "That's 140MB per account, all for free," says Kimball.

To make the service more fun, the company has created "SuperBuddy" icons, animated representations of friends that pop up in the AIM client during AIM conversations. The updated instant message client will also let users send digital photos, video clips, and audio streams, and the company has expanded the library of stationary designs, art, and sound effects bundled with the service's e-mail client.

Source article:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1193507,00.asp

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Yeay... All 4 people on these forums that use AOL are going to jump for joy :)
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    primesuspect said
    Yeay... All 4 people on these forums that use AOL are going to jump for joy :)

ur horrible...lol
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    who is using AOL in here??
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    leishi85 said

The insecure, the daring, the silly, the foolish, the crazy, the suckers, the virus loving... and the list goes on.;)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Spinner said
    leishi85 said

The insecure, the daring, the silly, the foolish, the crazy, the suckers, the virus loving... and the list goes on.;)

Can all be summed up into a single word..........

NS
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    Oh, and the people who can't think for themselves.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    ...look at it this way - the integrated AV software and automatic virus definition updates should do a lot to reduce the propagation of viruses. Let's face it, who is more likely to get (and pass on) a virus? Genius techs, like us:p ? Or grandpa with his first computer who thinks he's really gonna see Britney and Anna in action? Fewer viruses being spread will help all of us.

Prof
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited July 2003
    Oh wow!

AOL NINE POINT OH!

Can I reserve my copy now?

My grandmother uses AOL and she has a cabel modem at her house but she STILL uses the AOL crap w/ the cabel modem.

/me does not understand.
    edited July 2003
    profdlp said
    ...look at it this way - the integrated AV software and automatic virus definition updates should do a lot to reduce the propagation of viruses. Let's face it, who is more likely to get (and pass on) a virus? Genius techs, like us:p ? Or grandpa with his first computer who thinks he's really gonna see Britney and Anna in action? Fewer viruses being spread will help all of us.

Prof

Stop being so damn open minded. We don't need your flawless logic here. It's AOL for god sake. Even I, the open minded soul that I am, thinks it's the devil. If you're not carefull, I'll ban you again.:shakehead :wtf:

;)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    Think of it as forced sterilization.;D

Prof
    That's it - we'll disinfect the heathen masses!:crazy:
  • LincLinc
    decides to ban Spinner for posting this news

;)

New AOL 9.0 allows us to more fully corrupt your system and pervert it toward our ultimate goal.... complete control of your mac...
    Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    decides to ban Spinner for posting this news

;)

New AOL 9.0 allows us to more fully corrupt your system and pervert it toward our ultimate goal.... complete control of your machine and connection to insure you have the worst experience possible. Now, with new features like the "Spam me" button ( formerly known as the "create new account" button) and the "I admit I have no life" button (formerly known as the "join a random AOL chat" button).

To get maximum satisfaction from your AOL experience, we recommend installing it on your boss's machine and watching him cry as his system ceases to function properly. If you experience problems, please e-mail us at wedontgivearip@aol.com. We will forward your address to the appropriate spam providers. Thanks for being our valued customer!
    edited July 2003
    General Keebler said
    * General Keebler decides to ban Spinner for posting this news
    ;)
    New AOL 9.0 allows us to more fully corrupt your system and pervert it toward our ultimate goal.... complete control of your machine and connection to insure you have the worst experience possible. Now, with new features like the "Spam me" button ( formerly known as the "create new account" button) and the "I admit I have no life" button (formerly known as the "join a random AOL chat" button).

To get maximum satisfaction from your AOL experience, we recommend installing it on your boss's machine and watching him cry as his system ceases to function properly. If you experience problems, please e-mail us at wedontgivearip@aol.com. We will forward your address to the appropriate spam providers. Thanks for being our valued customer!

LMAO, too funny, but also sadly too true.;D :banghead: