Mobo/ Case frizz out???

JustinJustin Atlanta
edited September 2004 in Hardware
New case, new mobo. Case seems to have built in stand-offs. Mobo fits in case correctly without standoffs. All components connected and know working to Mobo. Green Asus light on. All fans and whatnot running. No picture, no POST. Question:

Could the case have shorted out the Mobo? Is the Mobo no good? Should I hesitate trying another Mobo in the case for fear of shorting out another one? Should I just start over with new both?

My main concern is that I can't use the brass standoffs in this case and that may have caused the issue. Any thoughts? :buck:

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2004
    try reseating the cpu?
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited June 2004
    Tried that, no change, cpu works in other MOBO just fine. Anything else?
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2004
    no beeps of any kind?
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited June 2004
    PC speaker not hooked up as case documentation is crap at best. So no, no beeps.
  • edited June 2004
    Try taking the mobo out of the case and booting with it on top of a board or the cardboard box the mobo came in. If it boots up outside of the case, then something is shorting you out.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2004
    I have seen cases (especially the micro atx ones) that had sort of a raised area where you expect the standoffs but most are way to big around for most motherboards and short stuff out unless you put plastic/fiber washers in between or at least apply a couple layers of electric tape over them or something.

Definately try it outside the case as suggested and put it on the original box you got the motherboard in for example. Also clear the cmos of course and verify the ram is in teh correct slots or try it in another one etc..

Tex
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited June 2004
    Excellent suggestions. Any chance that the board coulds have been irreversably damaged if it was shorting out on the case?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2004
    Its always posible. The odds are favorable based on my past experiances though that You need to pull it out and set it on the box like they said above with just video.

Pull the battery for a half hour with the psu unhooked. Put the battery back in and reconnect the psu and give a shot. Some motherboards are picky about exactly what slots it wants memory in. And some have jumpers to select fsb speed etc..

Can you post the make/model of MB? Did you test the memory in another computer like you tested the CPU?

I have built tons of computers but every once in a while I get one I have to jack with for 15 or 20 minutes before I can get it up so its not just you that has these probs. My asus opteron took 15 minutes of jacking around to get it to post the first time but it works perfect now.

Tex
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2004
    What case and motherboard?
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited June 2004
    Asus A7K8X-x, NOt sure on case manufacturer. Will have to check on that.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Justin wrote:
    New case, new mobo. Case seems to have built in stand-offs. Mobo fits in case correctly without standoffs. All components connected and know working to Mobo. Green Asus light on. All fans and whatnot running. No picture, no POST. Question:

Could the case have shorted out the Mobo? Is the Mobo no good? Should I hesitate trying another Mobo in the case for fear of shorting out another one? Should I just start over with new both?

My main concern is that I can't use the brass standoffs in this case and that may have caused the issue. Any thoughts? :buck:

One other thing to ask??? You used no standoffs, right??? Do the set on case thing, but try with the foam piece that came in box with mobo under mobo. And with a new CMOS battery on mobo. Its just barely possible you managed to ground the CMOS battery contacts on underside of mobo and battery is dead.... CR or DL 2032 battery should work.

You can use nylon standoffs, also, if holes in board do not line up with holes in case, especially holes in middle of board (you do not want board to bend and ground-short to case near middle of board)-- if board works while sitting on anti-stat for 10-15 minutes, long enough to get into CMOS\BIOS setup and look at settings and choose for right now to default them, then post board again.
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited September 2004
    Bringing this out again... New CMOS battery, tried known working RAM in all three DIMMs, CPU known working, still no post, any definative way to know whether this board is just dead?
  • edited September 2004
    Is the mobo sitting on a box or table instead of the case?
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited September 2004
    At the moment no, it was for a time and would not post from that position either.
  • edited September 2004
    If it wouldn't do anything outside of the case with known good components, then it sounds like RMA time for a dead mobo to me.
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited September 2004
    Dually noted. Just so I know, which is better? Abit NF7 or Asus A7K8X-x? I am trying to make my locked Barton go over 2GHz and my NF7 won't do it as it is a v. 1.x. I was going to try and make this ASUS board do it but things are looking pretty grim...
  • edited September 2004
    I would go with the NF7-S myself. My NF7-S is presently running at 217 fsb, folding it's ass off. It will run higher fsb than that but it's now a dedicated folding rig so I don't push the fsb speed as high as I used to.
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited September 2004
    I think that I will, probably going to drop a 2600 mobile Barton in there. Thanks everyone!