WINner Tweak 1.3.2 Question

a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
In the "Hardware -> Motherboard" section there is an option for the L2 cache size.

It asks how much Kb of L2 cache the CPU has. In the Speed up file system activity it shows different KB settings.

KB = KiloBytes
Kb = Kilobits

My question: Is it a typo in the L2 cache size? Do I put in the Kb or KB? I used to have Setup-X on my old p3-500 and it wanted the KB, not Kb, size of my L2. But it also said not to put in the wrong value or it could mess things up, so I *definitely* don't want to put in the Kb size if KB is truly what it is wanting.
Spinner said (in as post in the <a target="_blank" href="http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1415">Tweaks and Tricks Thread<a>)
This is a great free tweak utility for Windows 2000 and XP with a lot of cool features which should help you tame your system.

Comments

• SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    The helpfile isn't very helpfull, because it's not in English, so it's your call. Like you pointed out though it does say Kb (Kilobits). So one can only presume that that is what they meant. Think of it this way, if you do as they say and input kilobits, and they did in fact want KB's and you get problems as a result, then you can blame them. But if you insert KB's when they asked for Kb's then you have only yourself to blame if something goes wrong.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited July 2003
    I don't care that this was started as a new thread, but might I ask why?

Is it because it was a question in a thread that was mainly for disseminating information about tweaks?

Is it because a moderator thought a thread by this title could possibly help other users of the software?

If I know why my post was moved and used to start a new thread I'll know better in the future when to reply in the original thread, or start a new thread.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I put 256 in, and it worked fine. Did it this afternoon, and my windows is holding solid.
    edited July 2003
    a2jfreak said
    I don't care that this was started as a new thread, but might I ask why?

Is it because it was a question in a thread that was mainly for disseminating information about tweaks?

Is it because a moderator thought a thread by this title could possibly help other users of the software?

If I know why my post was moved and used to start a new thread I'll know better in the future when to reply in the original thread, or start a new thread.

I moved it out of the Tweaks and Tricks Thread bud, because yes, that thread is just for disseminating information, and I thought more people would see your post if it was moved out on its own. You didn't do anything wrong, people are free to post in any thread which isn't closed, I will however move posts about on occasion to keep things organised, informative and easy to scan for information.

There was no harm in where you posted it originally, as it was relevant to my original posting in the T&T thread. Just trying to keep things organised. I apologise for the confusion.

SPINNER
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited July 2003
    Good. I think I'll try 256 too.
    Thrax said
    I put 256 in, and it worked fine. Did it this afternoon, and my windows is holding solid.

OK. Just wanted to know why. :D
    Perhaps in the future I will start a new thread and then post a link to it in the original thread asking a mod to remove the post after a few hours. Is that good? Or should I just start a new thread or just allow a mod to alter the thread as you did this time?
    Spinner said

I moved it out of the Tweaks and Tricks Thread bud, because yes, that thread is just for disseminating information, and I thought more people would see your post if it was moved out on its own. You didn't do anything wrong, people are free to post in any thread which isn't closed, I will however move posts about on occasion to keep things organised, informative and easy to scan for information.

There was no harm in where you posted it originally, as it was relevant to my original posting in the T&T thread. Just trying to keep things organised. I apologise for the confusion.

SPINNER
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Am I the only one who reads the name of this as "whiner tweak"?
    edited July 2003
    OK. Just wanted to know why. :D
    Perhaps in the future I will start a new thread and then post a link to it in the original thread asking a mod to remove the post after a few hours. Is that good? Or should I just start a new thread or just allow a mod to alter the thread as you did this time?

Just do what you did, that's the easiest thing, or use your best judgement. Like I said, you did nothing wrong, I was just keeping the place tidy.

Cheers:)

GHoosdum said
    Am I the only one who reads the name of this as "whiner tweak"?

I think so.;):D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    The first time I read it, the small n kinda got lost next to the big N, so I read it WINer Tweak, or "whiner tweak"... :werr: