Where is SM18 and SM15_Folding Frog?

edited June 2004 in Folding@Home
I was checking out how the various SMx rigs were doing this morning and I saw that SM18 hasn't turned in any work since 5/27/2004. I know that this machine is supposed to be at Sarcnet so why isn't it producing, TheSMJ? Is it broke down or what? :confused:

Also, SM15_Folding_Frog hasn't turned in any work since 4/22/2004. reelbigfish is the host of this rig and is falling down on the job. Does anyone know how to contact him? If so, pass along the info, especially his home phone number so that we can recall this machine from him. He has been a very poor host lately and this machine needs to be reassigned. :mad:

I'm posting this here in the Team Forum because poor hosting concerns all of us who have contributed to the project, both money and parts. I think that we need to take a more proactive approach to hosts who aren't holding up to their end of the bargain. We have already had 3 rigs stolen from us by Shenlong and Wahoogie and Film and don't want to see this project fail due to asshat thieves or indifference on the part of the hosts.

I know that I'll probably catch flak about this thread but I don't care. I'm tired of poor hosting and indifference to non-producing rigs and it seems like the SMx committee can't get together in a timely fashion to recify matters, so I'm asking help from all team members to recover the non-producing boxes and get our hosts to watch their rigs more carefully.

Most of our hosts are doing an excellent job of keeping the boxes up and running, but we seem to have caught a few bad apples out of the barrel, IMO. To all the responsible hosts out there, thank you for doing such a wonderful job of keeping the machines up and running. To the ones not doing their jobs, if you can't host if properly then ship it back.

Comments

• MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2004
    I noticed SM15 wasn't doing anything either when I overtook it the other day. I was curious why it wasn't folding, but I didn't say anything...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    SM18 is back online. We are reorganizing our wiring closet and it had been running, but unplugged from the network since the 27th. I just checked it myself and sent the WUs in the queue in and got a new WU.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2004
    i agree with you 100% mudd
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited June 2004
    You wont be getting any flak because most agree with you. Well except the ones that don't do what they should do. I'm glad that sm18 is ok.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited June 2004
    :/
  • edited June 2004
    Looks like he's officially MIA. He hasn't posted production with his regular screename either. Looks quite suspect. :mean:

KF
  • edited June 2004
    Well I just learned today that it was disconnected... sorry about that.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2004
    I'm with you Mudd, you have the right idea. Did reelbigfish sign the contract? IC13 is running like a charm here in NC :Rocker:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    No, because he told us he would return it by the end of April.
  • edited June 2004
    SM18 is back online. We are reorganizing our wiring closet and it had been running, but unplugged from the network since the 27th. I just checked it myself and sent the WUs in the queue in and got a new WU.

That's good to know, prime. :) I'm glad nothing is wrong with SM18.

Next time though it would be nice if you would post up a little note saying that it would be off the net for a few days though. ;):nudge:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    grrrrrrr..... how tough is it to just do what you promised to do!!!!!! Why do we have these problems? What a bunch of crap to screw a good thing. Now we're looking at four systems our of 23 that are gone!!!! That's almost 20%

So, who else "forgot", "misplaced", or "their dog ate it" didn't sign and return the contract?

THIS JUST IN FROM SM-19... she say, and I quote, "This vexes me, I terribly Vexed.... smacktards!!!!!! ALL OF THEM!!!!!"

WOW, I didn't know she knew words like smacktard.... quick learner, huh?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Mudd: It wasn't planned, believe me. I only went to look since TheSMJ was out at client locations all day, and when I glanced, I saw that the cable to SM18 hadn't been plugged back in properly.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2004
    10 lashes with an ethernet cable for the SMJ.

10,000 lashes for the reelbigfish....

:rarr::rarr::rarr:

Dexter...
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited June 2004
    So do we have the frogs info? I hope that we can recover that rig? :rolleyes:
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2004
    The committee has all my contact info, so if SM10 is ever down more than a day or two, please contact me. If I can't get an "always on" connection when I move, I will probably turn it over to a new host selected by the committee. If this turns out to be the case, I will do my best to give advance notice so SM10 will not be down any longer than it takes to ship to the new host. :)
  • edited June 2004
    MrBill, even if you can't get a broadband connection when you move, you can still do like I was doing before I got my satellite broadband and have a second phone line for internet connection. Then, set up 1 computer with the dialup connection and then use ICS to share it with your other networked computers. The cost works out about the same as a broadband connection and ICS works OK when sharing the connection. It's not too hard to set up autodial on the ICS computer.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    Thats what I did for awhile.If you have 2, you can run timeless tinkers so you can connect it every coupla days if you dont want it to autodial.
  • wb22ruleswb22rules Central Va.
    edited June 2004
    Sorry to hear the Froggy rig is MIA , good luck in getting it back going ;)

Mr Bill , worse comes to worse you could like I do and install 2-3 clients per CPU , run them all when you leave the house so the rigs can stay busy for quite awhile without being connected , it does make for a pain to come home and have send up 5-6 W/Us on dialup on occasion , but I usually have chores to do around here when its doing it . mmonnin hooked me up with that trick a while back , the family loves you for it mmonnin :) , no more Dad calling home yelling at the kids to go monitor the clients/connection :)
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2004
    I haven't decided what to do yet. I will be calling Comcast since it looks like they come to within 1/2 mile of the house. If I have to go to dial-up (I hate the very thought of it), then I'll probably setup ICS and use auto-dial. That is, assuming someone can give me the instructions on how to do it. :)

Satellite will cost about $600 up front for hardware and $59 per month with a 15 month contract. Kinda pricey, but we'll see what happens...