Display and Refresh rate in Gnome2

SlickSlick Upstate New York
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Someone please help me. I cannot figure out how to change the refresh rate or resolution in gnome2. I am using slackware, and I think my eyes are going to start bleeding if I do not get this changed soon.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Um, in all the distros I have used you did this either in the distro's device config or in a console configurator. Look for an X configurator in your distro unless it is RedHat
    (in which case try:
    locate RedHat-Config
    )

Or in Mandrake try Mandrake Control Center.

If you are in Slack, I do not know, sorry, but somthing might show with

locate XF
    that has config or configurator in it that could help.

In Debian, they might still have Linuxconf (AKA linuxconf) still working.

Basicly, video settings are in X and not in desktop in Linux. The X configurers for console tend to start with X. If you have to use Linuxconf, it sometimes massively gumpfhs up networking, so if can write down the network basics first before you use it. Some distros link the linuxconf command to something not so obsolete, though.

Sicne I don't know what version of what distro, can't check to see what distro uses for distro-specific stuff for your version.

Ageek
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    slack allows x86config to adjust refresh rate. Just make sure you know technical details about your hardware (Particularly horizontal/vertical refresh-rate ranges).
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Thanks, I will find that Slack tidbit useful also.
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited July 2003
    Thanks thrax, I saw some stuff like that while I was editing my FX86Config file so the nvidia drivers would work.