Howd you like to see this puppy folding?

VileDaRKNiGHTVileDaRKNiGHT Hudson FL
edited June 2004 in Folding@Home
server.jpg

Its one of the NASA comps, if i listened right thats 160 blades total in that room, 2.2 gig athlons on each, bringing it out to 352 gigs total, might be off, was tired durring tour. just imagine the tinkers and double gromacs you could tear through with that!

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Woof! Woof!!
  • mmonninmmonnin
    faints!
    Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    faints!
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2004
    :kneel:

Wow. How loud was that thing? And how do they get rid of all the heat?? :confused2
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    The heat in setups like that is usually taken care of by an air conditioning system designed for and dedicated to the room, afaik. I've read about how they do it but don't remember where I saw it. Maybe on one of the old nVidia tours that used to get posted occasionally?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    1U servers like those are designed to eject all heat out the back, and then usually a series of venting fans at the top of each cage pull all the hot air up and out. The rooms are heavily climate and humidity controlled. Heat is never an issue in a datacenter.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2004
    Love at first sight. :)
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited June 2004
    Virginia Tech has a cluster of dual G5's there are 1100 systems, with 2 procs each running 2 Ghz a peice thats 4400 GHz :)

if my math is correct

g5cluster3.jpg
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2004
    I saw a cluster of Playstation 2's one time on tv. I forget what it was for though...
  • VileDaRKNiGHTVileDaRKNiGHT
    gets his monitor and plugs it into the super comp, w00t!!
    Hudson FL
    edited June 2004
    gets his monitor and plugs it into the super comp, w00t!!
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited June 2004
    The PS2's were apparently being imported by Saddam to build a nuclear weapons simulation cluster. At least that's according to some online journal .... they apparently did begin to track all PS2 shipments (there's another link about that I can't find) and made extra sure they weren't getting into Iraq. Linkage:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/12/19/iraq_buys_4000_playstation_2s/