Console/Screen/Gui

PressXPressX Working! New
edited June 2004 in Folding@Home
OK. I am sure some of these questions are answered somewhere but my lazy/busy fat ass can not find/look for them.

1. There seems to be a debate on switches in console mode. Has anyone come to a conclusion which is the best option for PC idle performance (AMD) and the best for background while PC is in use? Or is there little difference?

2. Is the service switch a "true" service? If so where is it in the services.msc?(XP Pro/Home) If not has anyone got any tips for running it as a true service?

3. What are people scoring a week? If I continue I'll be hitting 600/700 from one rig. But I seem to be reading some people getting 1200/1500 is that because of dedicated rigs and dual proc's or just lucky?

4. Which option is giving the best performance? Console, screensaver or gui? Or is it just a case of personal preference and they all perform the same?

Number 2 is a leading question. I own a 'puter shop and I am considering the option of FAH in my standard build for customers. They will get the option to remove it when they boot and this will also explain why it is there and the good reasons to keep it. So this way I get their consent. Has anyone else considered this and how have they gone about it? Are there any legal/moral issues with this that I may have missed?

I am a newbie to fah so forgive some questions that may appear obvious to others.

I think that is enough for one post :rant:

X

welshwave.gif

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    1. For a Athlon XP, you don't need to use the switches (except for "local" if you have more than one client on a PC) anymore.
    2. You need to use that switch when you're using FireDaemon which makes the program run as a service.
    3. Depends on the cpu and how much people use the machine.
    4. a) I would go with the console, make it run as a service. Doesn't stay in the taskbar and it runs even in a multi account pc.
    b) AFAIK it's against the EULA to install without their permission. Don't know if that would be considered a violation.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    For a service follow this setup:
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/folding/service-nt2000xpnew.htm

600-700 is good for one PC.
  • PressXPressX Working! New
    edited June 2004
    Thanks for the prompt replies. :type:

Be interesting to see what people think about the idea of installing on a sytem but promting for removal after sysprep is run. The idea being it would force the user to make a choice to "install it or not". However, my dilemma is one of "spyware" I hate it and would I then be part of the problem? Maybe not as I am giving the user a choice. Perhaps I could take it back one step and suggest it to them on the completion of the sale. However, this is likely to get a smaller response.

Any thoughts?

X
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited June 2004
    PressX wrote:

Number 2 is a leading question. I own a 'puter shop and I am considering the option of FAH in my standard build for customers. They will get the option to remove it when they boot and this will also explain why it is there and the good reasons to keep it. So this way I get their consent. Has anyone else considered this and how have they gone about it? Are there any legal/moral issues with this that I may have missed?

I think as long as the application is NOT running it shouldn't be a problem. Where you'll run into an issue is if you actually loaded the application and had it doing work for your account without the owners consent.

There's a great post in here re: some "Jet..." individual who was violating the EULA because he was loading the client on machines unbeknownst to the owners. He got his hand slapped pretty hard!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    http://folding.amdmbpond.com/service.html for service.

also ...I would get permission with proof of before I installed it to any machine.
    There is a huge controversy at the community on that very subject at the moment ...the problem is that it jeopardizes the entire project.
    http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=8213

cya
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2004
    I would recommend against putting on the computers at all. There's already to much unneccessary stuff on most people's computers as it is. This would be one more piece of "junk" to some people.

What I would do in your situation is include a printed summary of the project with their accessories package, and include 3 links on their desktop to find out more info. Link 1 being to the stanford main folding page, link 2 being to the downloads page, and link 3 being to our folding forum as a really great place to get help and as a great team to fold for. :)

If they are not interested, they delete the desktop link icons, and they are done, no extraneous software is installed on their system.

Dexter...
  • PressXPressX Working! New
    edited June 2004
    It seems the general mood is don't push it. Let the punters make their own mind up.

Thanks for the input. I will think on this a little. I like the link idea and perhaps a link to the "movie" may be the solution.

X
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    Maybe have a file on their computer that would install it for them. Maybe even have it ask for username.

A link to the folding video would be great.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    PressX, despite what may seem like a reserved attitude towards this, allow me to say that we appreciate it greatly that you want to contribute so much effort towards the project, and towards our team. That kind of team spirit is what allows us to hang in the top 10 with the "big" teams, despite our small size.

We are just worried about an unwilling install because of the moral and legal implications of said action. Especially in light of what just recently happened with the MacRumors team.

I'm sure there will be a really cool solution to this that will make you happy and will perhaps get more people folding. If it includes team 93, even better. :) If it includes your username, even best :)