do opterons fold fast?

TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
edited June 2004 in Folding@Home
Do they have a 64bit version of the folding software by any weird chance.

Tex

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    do opterons fold fast?
    my guess is probably about the same or slightly faster than an xp @ the same mhz if the extra cache makes a difference.
    Do they have a 64bit version of the folding software by any weird chance.
    ? no but that's not to say that something isn't in the works ...also just a guess.

:fold:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    Slightly better than the AXP. Its pretty much the same CPU as far as FAH is concerned. Opterons have a slightly better FPU but its pretty much the same. This is only if you are running tinkers or gromacs. If you happen to get double gromacs then you can use SSE2 thats on the opteron core. Then PPD would go way up, much like a P4.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2004
    Too bad. Wish they had a 64bit version as I have the dualie with 64bit linux and windows OS's, the amd64 3200+ The 142 opterona nd now I just got another k8d dual cpu MB but need cpu's for it.

If it folded fast that would be six 64bit cpu's.

Sounds like just buying cheap amd xp and ecs mb combo's at fry's for 60 bucks would fold as well.

Tex
    edited June 2004
    Yeah Fry's deals are great for Folding Farms. I think its better there isnt a Fry's close to Columbus.;)
    edited June 2004
    If you ever want stuff let me know. They have probably 3 differant specials on xp/ecs boards of differant prices/speeds each week. Ranging from about $59 to $79 bucks for the combo depending on the speed of the cpu.

The best deal is about once a month they do it for $49 bucks for a 2000+ and ecs board and thats pretty insane for cpu and MB.

Tex
    edited June 2004
    Oh please dont tell me that.;) I got 2 combo's from Geeky1 when they had the ECS K7S5A/1800+ combo and the 1800+ did 2.5 GHz on Air.

When I get my own apt and I want a farm I will be calling your name tho.;) Thats crazy.

They need to Expand eastward. I can get Fry's ISP in Ohio somewhere but no stores.
    edited June 2004
    And I like the new ecs board better then the k7s5a. Its on the via chipset but has the 133/166 memory option.