E-Mail I did not send

vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
edited June 2004 in Spyware & Virus Removal
I got this message on Saturday and again today (I just the discovered the Saturday message):
Subj:

Symantec AVF detected that you sent a message with an unscannable attachment
Date:

6/14/2004 6:42:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time

<Administrator@indywalls.com>
To:

<vanagon45@aol.com>
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Subject of the message: excellent!
Recipient of the message: Bill Pruitt

I never sent a message (much less one with an attachment) to anyone during the past three days. Nor is there a record of the sent message in my sent mail box.

Any clues? :confused2

Comments

• GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2004
    Virus....
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Not necessarily. Someone elses computer could have a virus and be using your email address as the sender. Any returned email will be sent to you. We've got a few people around the office that have the same problem. Of course, they give their work email address out for personal use, so they have to live with it.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2004
    dont open anything in the message you received. update your antivirus definitions and run a full system scan, just to be safe
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    I get tons of those. Someone who I have communicated with at some point in the past now has a virus. The virus looks thru either their history/saved emails OR their address book, sees my email addy and spoofs it to send out new viruseseses to other people. The new recipient's anti-virus detects and rejects the email and sends out 'advice' to the spoofee - in this case, me. So I get an email saying I've sent a virus out, when in fact I haven't.

I'd bet real money that this is what's happening to you, vanagon45. AFAIK, there's no way to stop it from happening.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2004
    add similar mails to your junk filter :D