2nd SM LAN Rig-to-Be...

oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
edited June 2004 in Hardware
Ever since I saw my first 19" music gear case I've always wanted to put a computer inside of one. Although the cases typically aren't aesthetically pleasing, they're as rugged a case as you can find. So I introduce to you my 2nd annual SM LAN rig-to-be!

smlanmod01.jpgsmlanmod02.jpg

My plan is to begin the design phase in the next couple of weeks including laying out component placement and the front control panel. Each step of the process will be documented on my web site.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Are you gonna use a rackmount case to put in there?
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited June 2004
    Are you gonna use a rackmount case to put in there?

Most of the rack mounted cases I've come across are too deep for the gear case. Instead I'll be building it directly into the case. The biggest issue I'm seeing at this time is an easy way to get at the mobo in case something needs to be worked on.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    Put a window in it which can also be removable. That will give you a bit more access. Otherwise it will be nearly impossible.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Ball-bearing drawer slides.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Maybe you could build everything on the cover. Install some railings and when you have to work on it, just pull the cover out. You could also install a side window, some fans and glow wire or cc's.
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited June 2004
    Thanks for all the great ideas...
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    A standard SKB case (like the above) should fit a standard 3u or 4u 19" rackcase :)

I've got one of those music cases for my guitar rig :D ... they are magic :cool:
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited June 2004
    Yeah I think I agree with some of the others. Some sort of shelf would probably work out for mounting a motherboard. Otherwise I don't know how you would do it.

Norge