Florida lightning storms

VileDaRKNiGHTVileDaRKNiGHT Hudson FL
edited June 2004 in Folding@Home
They suck, Power was off at my house for 4 hours, the cable for 6, thats 4 hours time lost for 3 boxes and 6 for my main rig, which yeild the most output out of all of them, which allowd me to loose a great deal of points, very pissed right now :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant: :banghead: :mean:

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Daisy chain UPS's? :D
  • VileDaRKNiGHTVileDaRKNiGHT Hudson FL
    edited June 2004
    I dont even have one UPS
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    You should really get one. They cost like $100 at Sam's or Costco. A power surge or brown out and kiss your PC goodbye.
  • VileDaRKNiGHTVileDaRKNiGHT Hudson FL
    edited June 2004
    i got a surge protector, just no UPS
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    You shouldn't daisy chain. APC's say that right in the manual. :)

Power never went out once for me yesterday. Teehee. :p
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2004
    Me either, but we didn't really get much rain. Just a slight drizzle. :-/

I want a UPS, my friend tells me it's likely to solve my power problems.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    A $40 UPS or better is almost essential for computers. I have lost too many PSUs and motherboards to crappy, dirty, and inconsistent power to think otherwise anymore.
    edited June 2004
    Yes! I decent UPS will save you many headaches. Just the other night we had some weird drops in the line. The power didn't go completely out, but it did die down to the point where the lights were almost off, and enough to turn off my surround receiver. Werid thing though, my Sony TV didn't even flinch a bit. Kind of cool.

Anyway, my UPS stuck with it the whole time. It switches when there are inconsistencies in the line, and I'm sure that's saved me quite a few times.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited June 2004
    Stupid question but must upses be connected to the ground. I have one that i haven't been able to use since my house doesn't have grounded wires in all rooms.

Mom and i are planning on moving but can't find a place we want to live. personly i wished we could just get used to living here, have an electrisian install grounded wires in my room so i can use that ups. it's not funny to have an ups i can't use espacially today when a thunderstorm made me run like hell to shut down the rig and discnonnect it.

And unlike the router i'm not gonna sell it. I really hate having to turn of my rig everyday when i go for work and keep it on all night since it's really hurting my folding scores. BTW what would happen if i were to connect the ups. I'm assuming some pretty bad things.
    edited June 2004
    Hmmm... You'll probably want a better opinion on this, but I don't think it's a good idea to not have a ground with something like a UPS. I believe it would probably void your warranty and guarantee on the UPS as well.
    edited June 2004
    That's what i thought. Oh well.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2004
    I don't know how your power is setup in Sweden :sweflag: but in the US you can buy an adapter which (if installed correctly!) will give you a three-prong grounded outlet. The ring at the top is meant to have the screw from the wall plate run through it; if the electrical box containing the outlet is grounded the screw will provide the ground through there.

You should test it using the European equivalent of the device shown on the far right.
    edited June 2004
    Ehm if the outlet was grounded i wouldn't have any problems prof. The cord has grounded wires in it as it's a standard pc powercord but the wall socket doesn't. I can if i want connect the ups without any adapters but that wont make it grounded. I do have a radiator nearby that has grounded waterpipes but i don't know if it would work. I doubt that.

The radiator isn't electrical. I don't know the english term for it but the swedish term is fjärrvärme, which would be something like remote heating in english. The water is heated in a building across town that burns garbage and stuff then pumped to houses in town like mine. It's really nice as it takes care of itself and is cheap. Anyway since the pipes is buried they are grounded so i could perhaps use it as i groundpoint.

But i think i'd better forget about it as it seems risky. Or what do you guys think. It's cheaper then getting grounded wires installed so it could work for a while. It only needs to as hopefully it wont take to long before we have moved or decided not to.
  • edited June 2004
    The waterpipe should make a great ground, IMO. It has literally hundred of meters of it buried in the ground and as long there are no plastic fittings on the piping in the house, should do well for an earth ground. You would need to run a ground wire to the wall receptacle though.
    edited June 2004
    How can i test it to know it's ground. I have a multimeter. Any ideas how i can fasten the ground cable to the ups. i think i know how to attach it to the radiator. Should i get a new connector and somehow splice the wires in it.
    edited June 2004
    EyesOnly wrote:
    How can i test it to know it's ground...
    The nifty little tool in the last picture of my previous post has lights to indicate that all wiring is correct, including the ground.

Naturally, you will need the Swedish equivalent. :)

Chances are, the electric box (inside the wall) containing the outlet you want to use is already grounded. The screw through the ring eye will hook you up without going through the radiator.
    edited June 2004
    I was hoping i would be able to use the multi. i learned it when taking electrical studies but forgot. it was something about comparing the voltages from the outlet to ground. Any ideas.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    No UPS here ;) But it would be nice... just no money. But these storms have been fun! No power outages for me yet though.
    edited June 2004
    EyesOnly wrote:
    I was hoping i would be able to use the multi....
    That ought to work. I'm not enough of an electrician to tell you exactly what to check. :rolleyes:

Bet mudd knows. :)
    edited June 2004
    How can storms be fun.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    They are amazing things to watch man... haven't you just sat out on the patio or something, reading a book perhaps, while watching the storm rage it's war? It's a beautiful thing!
    edited June 2004
    Can't say that i have.
    edited June 2004
    You should try it. :)

I was on the shore of Lake Erie a few days back when a very impressive storm rolled in. Beat the laser show they had at the last hockey game I attended.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2004
    I've got the same problem in my room. Where would I be able to find one of those adapters with the indicator to show if it's all good? A DIY store? There's a Home Depot not too far from here...
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2004
    That device would only show you if there was an earth connected. It wouldn't show you if the earth was suitable. The earth conductor in a domestic mains circuit has to be capable of carrying the full fault current in order to disconnect (ie, blow a fuse etc) within a set time. You need an electrician to be sure, and with electricity you do need to be sure.