New Flaw detected in Windows Software

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Microsoft yesterday admitted that there is indeed a critical vulnerability in 99% of all of its versions of Windows Server 2003. This particular disclosure was especially embarrassing for the company because it is the first major security flaw to have been found in its new server software, billed as the companies most secure to date.

The flaw, which was discovered by Polish researchers, also affects main stream Windows versions, such as Windows XP and 2000. The problem is regarded as one of the most serious holes in security to date. There is a patch now available, so a trip to the Windows Update site would be a sensible idea.
Microsoft said the vulnerability could allow hackers to seize control of a victim's Windows computer over the Internet, stealing data, deleting files or eavesdropping on e-mails.

The full report:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,92212,00.html

Thanks to profdlp for the heads up on this piece of news.

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Ouch,

This is going to hurt their claim of there MOST SECURE TO DATE

Saying that, it was bound to happen, they always find a security problem with Windows. Its like the Sun rising and setting, you know its going to happen ;)
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    At least they're finding them.
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited July 2003
    Ya, saw this on cnn as i was heading out the door. Guess i'll have to do a windows update once i get home.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    When Windows update ran today, there were two security updates... one stated something like "allows individuals to take complete control of your computer." That sounds pretty serious... :hair: