Sudden Drop in Points

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited June 2004 in Folding@Home
I noticed that Team SM took a nice drop in points the past few days. I am just wondering what the cause of this. I noticed Leo said he had a lot of tinkers on this P4s. If thats it then I could see why. Its not just Leo but a lot of the big hitters have dropped. I just happed to look at the top 20 on the EOC stats.

The thing is I have been trying to get tinkers and all I get is gromacs. Its pissed me off too because almost everytime on one machine the core WILL NOT shut down. So the client sits there doing nothing. I close the client and it starts over from the beginning. Ive had it and I put 4 clients on it effectively making it a 400mhz machine for each client. They all finished their first gromac and for some reason have a performance fraction of 0 still and picked up another.

Well enough ranting and send me some of those damn tinkers. And not the 128 point tinkers either.

Edit: I looked across at other teams and their total dropped big time as well.

Comments

• MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2004
    Tinkers suck. My main rig has picked up a big one, 242 points, and even the P3 got one for 128 points, so now my production's way down. This thing's been chompin' on it nonstop for almost three days and now it's ready to drop it. I hope I don't catch another. Higher PPW production with the big tinkers though, oddly enough.

Well, it's not just us. I took a look on EOC at SAGoons, Overclockers Australia, and [H]ardOCP, and it seems we've all taken a big hit the past few days. We seem to be picking up though, but it may be too soon to tell for sure.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2004
    yeah, three machines here all have the 128-point tinkers. Gawd they're horrible! 3.2c takes like, almost 2 days to get through it. Oh, and yeah, [H]ardOCP's production has dropped to a 'mere' 110,000 ppd :rolleyes:
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited June 2004
    Just checked 5 machines of which 3 have 128 pt tinkers... If it is the tinkers, then our production should balance out over the long haul.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    Not with the 128 point tinkers. On all the other tinkers I get twice as many PPD compared to the 128 pointers. They were the horrible 70.9 tinkers before the stats change. They alwaus have been and always will be. If everyone is getting these thats the cause and it will not even out over time.

The computer that I was ranting about above sent in a WU from all 3 clients and picked up 4 more 44 poin gromacs. Not one of them has a performance fraction after their 2nd WU each. Driving me insane.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited June 2004
    Got 4 machines running right now, all of them are tinkers
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2004
    Man! All 4 consoles in this house have that 128 pointer :rant:
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Yeah I got tinker fever here too. Dang 128s won't finish for 2 days.

And I was getting ready to put it in passing gear for The GR81 too :bawling:

It will happen ; It will : It will : :eek2: :banghead:
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    3x 128 Stinkers here also...
    p638_L939_K12M_ext
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    my new access point has been acting up.
    edited June 2004
    Missileman wrote:
    Yeah I got tinker fever here too. Dang 128s won't finish for 2 days.

And I was getting ready to put it in passing gear for The GR81 too :bawling:

It will happen ; It will : It will : :eek2: :banghead:
    Sure about that? I just turned in my 244 point tinker a while ago. Now I'm workin' on those little 44 point gromacs. I will beat you to 10k! Though I think you got a bit bigger boost out of those tinkers than I did... Maybe that P3 will save me again with the 128 point tinker. ;D Another dgromacs can't come soon enough. :banghead:
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited June 2004
    Yup, same here, got 2 128 tinkers going now and one regular 135 pointer too...

"g"
  • edited June 2004
    Yeah, I got a bunch of those horrid 128 point stinkers on my rigs right before I left to go to work and they really suck. And I found out that Pentium M doesn't own with stinkers too; the XP's still own with non-optimized work like stinkers. It's faster than a P4 with them but is slower than a XP running the same clock speed.

I really hope that Stanford gets more Gromacs and DGro in the pipeline; I really want to see how this Pentium M handles DGro since it supports SSE2 like the P4 and hammer.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited June 2004
    Had problems sending finished Wu's. Now also got a 128 pointer.(54:56:40hrs)

Sally said she has her fair share of them too.

I don't mind as long as it is happening to everyone folding, irrespective of which team.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited June 2004
    Yeah the 128 Point tinkers (the P638's) seem to give no point advantage on athlons and absolutely hammer anything that's made by intel. I've noticed these WU's for a while as they've been the only tinkers that give no PPW improvement over Gromacs on AMD chips .. in fact they tend to decrease PPW. I can't see how this could be a correct point amount given the performance seen with P4's on these units.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    good news maybe.
    yesterday i noticed I was folding about 75% tinkers so I added -advmethods to the entire farm (p4's).
    I just noticed now I am folding 100% gromacs ...so there is hope for the rest of us!

Also note ...the tinkers are nice to have on the athlon xp's! :fold:
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    TheGr81 wrote:
    Sure about that? I just turned in my 244 point tinker a while ago. Now I'm workin' on those little 44 point gromacs. I will beat you to 10k! Though I think you got a bit bigger boost out of those tinkers than I did... Maybe that P3 will save me again with the 128 point tinker. ;D Another dgromacs can't come soon enough. :banghead:

Well I'm gonna give it the old college try to beat you to 10K. I think this little competition is gonna shape up to be an interesting little diversion.

I will perservere :thumbsup: :kneel:
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited June 2004
    my 2 systems have been down the past week, but i just turned in a 10,000 WU, thats right 10,000
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2004
    Armo wrote:
    ...i just turned in a 10,000 WU, thats right 10,000
    I'm 87% of the way through one myself. :)
    edited June 2004
    What do you guys mean 10,000? 10,000 steps per frame??

I've always had -advmethods on my P4 clients. That is probably gave me that 242 point tinker and 44 point gromacs instead of the 128 point tinker on both.

Missleman, of course you will pass me, but until then I'm running as fast as i can. :thumbsup:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    The number means squat. Dont know how many times I have said it but people still think it mean size but it doesnt.

On the other hand, there are several discussions about the point value of the p638 WU and its being looked at. It should be somewhere around 230 points which p639 is and it has similar time frames. It may change, it may not.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    As I said a week or two ago... I had to turn over the 4 PC's that I was setting up for users, thus, the F@H had to be removed. So 12 GHz went "bye, bye"....

But... the Grand Prize PC from SM LAN'04 is now running and I do see 6 new P4's sitting waiting to be configured!!!!!

Q