Simple HTML "Submit Form" page (to email)

CraifCraif Cleveland, Ohio ("round on the ends, high in the middle")
edited June 2004 in Internet & Media
I would like to create a simple web page input form that will send the results to an email address, which will then read the results and automatically update the database (in GoldMine). I am using Dreamweaver and beyond "beginner" level but not experienced in writing JS, PHP, etc. I can do the input stuff also. The only thing I need is the commands to make the submission of data to an email. Does anyone have a simple HTML web page form that will do this?

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    It's not as simple just doing a form with an application like Goldmine.

I can probably come up with something but you need to find out what API's are possible with Goldmine for writing to it's database. Is it proprietary? Is it ODBC compliant?

Plus, a webform would be on and go onto a server, Im assuming your goldmine database and app isn't on the same machine.

Bit more information needed please :)
  • CraifCraif Cleveland, Ohio ("round on the ends, high in the middle")
    edited June 2004
    I can do the form. I have the format for Goldmine here. Goldmine has a "web-import" feature for emails that are coded properly. I don't know how to make a "form" submit, in the background, as an email.
    edited June 2004
    So what you are after ( as you have provided more info :) ) is a form handler that emails you in a set format :)

Do you have any knowledge of a server-side scripting language (eg.. PHP or ASP)?
    edited June 2004
    no experience with server-side scripting language (eg.. PHP or ASP) yet. However, I'm smart and can work for free. I'm all ears! But, I was really trying to find a way to do this without the server-side involved. Possible?
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited June 2004
    Here's the "official" page on forms:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html

In the first example you'd want to change action="mailto:username@domain.com". When the user hits submit you'll get a message with info. I can't remember if there's any formatting available ... but I'm pretty sure its minimal.

If you're planning on using the information you've gleaned on your webpage then it'll take a bunch of other programming.

Note that the form submit would be sent in plaintext email .. not something you want to do if you're sending passwords.
    edited June 2004
    Thanks qparadox. I did actually come on to that page today, when searching. I'll review it give it a try...
    edited June 2004
    What does the docs for goldmine say it requires?
    edited June 2004
    The sample that GoldMine provides is at http://www.datametron.com/formtest.htm, however the "ACTION" on this one is not an email, it is assuming server-side action. They also have a Sample PERL Gateway Script, but I'm trying to stay away from this...
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited June 2004
    We used to use Goldmine's e-mail import feature (v4, though, so it's pretty old) I'll see if I can find any old emails; If I can I'll let you know the syntax.