IE 6 can't remote manage a router on 8080, but Netsape can?

DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Howdy folks,

I recently upgraded my browser to IE6. I also just ran Windows Update yesterday, to get that new security update (running Win2000 on my office computer - bear with me, this will become relevant in a moment.) Today I went to log in to a client's network router using the HTTP remote administration on Port 8080. I got an error 401 - Unauthorized.

So I tried some other routers we manage for some clients. Same deal, all 401.

So I called the ISP who provides the connection to all those routers. He tried it, and got the router login screen. Grrrr. His answer was "well, you must have your IP range blocked at that router." I did not get into a discussion with him about how assinine that suggestion was - there are only 2 of us in the office with access to those routers, neithr of us did it, and the remote servers are in locked cases in locked rooms, which means no one did it at the units.

Thinking that perhaps that ISP was having a routing conflict with my ISP (been known to happen) I phoned my wife, and her check it at home, which happens to be the same ISP as the servers are on. She gets the login screen too. GRRRRR.

So, then I use PC Anywhere to login to another client's system on a 3rd ISP. Using a web browser on that unit, I try to login to the first router again. Guess what, I get the login screen at the router!

So, wondering if indeed my ISP or even my IP is the problem, I pull up Netscape 6 on my computer. Type in the HTPP address with 8080, and voila, I get the router login. Repeat with the other router addresses, and they all work in Netscape. Try them again in IE6....401 Unauthorized!

Anyone else have trouble doing 8080's on IE6? Or since running the latest security updates?

I find this quite amusing given the rah-rah IE comments posted the other day in the thread about Netscape being killed.

Comments and advice welcome.

Cheers,

Dexter...

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Um... Firebird.

Or, see if in privacy settings, which are stricter than they used to be in IE, your IE is refusing to use port 8080.

Also, if you are using IP, try

http://IP:8080/

(subsititute IP, natcherally). If this works and you have not been changing anything in IE, I would think it might be local DNS and ACLs plus a browser check blocking IE from using 8080. Partly because you can get there from other routes, partly because it appears to be just IE. Doing this would keep a lot of not-so-average but not-sphisticated users from playing using the 8080 port, and most ISPs know how to make IE tell them its browser version. Soem even do nto have the new version code in their browser tables, either. For now,another browser, it looks like. If still same in a week, then might be the ISP.

Somewhere I remember something being said about failing over to 8080 if 80 was not responsive was not a good thing-- but what forum, and exactly why, I forget. Netscape DOES automaticly failover to 8080 if 80 does not respond, by default. So does Mozilla, and IIRC also Firebird.

There are links to Firebird off of mozilla.org if you are interested. Firebird is a recoded mozilla-like browser, done for speed and compactness like Opera, no mail client so far.

Good Luck with it.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2003
    Thanks Ageek, but no dice.

I had tried it with and without the last "/", no diff either way. I checked through all my IE security settings, and cannot see anything that would cause 8080 to be locked out. Since I can access it from the the same computer using a different browser, there cannot be any IP or DNS based lockout going on.

Funny thing, but I have had a similar IE problem using the older version. My Linksys router here in the office locks up if I try to configure it using IE (even under 5.0 and 5.5), but if I use Netscape it runs fine.

Wierd...

Dexter...
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Well, could be Java or could be that Netscape can use slightly different authentication than IE.

In the US, some of the ISPs are tryign to block peer-to-peer and trying to get consumers to use IE. They can parse IE distinctly from other browsers-- and block what is also used as a failback P2P linkup port commonly here.

With Linksys's I think it is the authentication, though. I end up using Netscape or Mozilla for those. So, sounds like best answer is a browser change for programming.

Unless you were autoauthenticating, sometimes an IE update wipes UID\password autologin memory for IE, or messes it up. (That is one thing I do not sugget doing,too easy to get that info to the wrong place if the box it is on disappears for whatever reason.).

I can't help more, sorry. Maybe someone else can.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    You clearly got through to the router or it would have been "This page cannot be displayed." It sounds like IE tried a username & password and gave up when it didn't work. You can get 401 unauthorized by doing the wrong password enough times, and then with refresh it will ask you again.

I don't know if this is it but it looks like it could be. Go into Tools -> Internet Options -> Security tab -> Custom Level... and scroll all the way to the bottom. What is it set to? You might try Prompt for user name and password. Also try refreshing after getting the 401, I guess.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2003
    EMT said
    I don't know if this is it but it looks like it could be. Go into Tools -> Internet Options -> Security tab -> Custom Level... and scroll all the way to the bottom. What is it set to? You might try Prompt for user name and password. Also try refreshing after getting the 401, I guess.

GIVE THE MAN A PRIZE!! :thumbsup:

Friggin' IE. I had that set to Prompt on version 5.5. Why the heck would it change?? Grrrrrrrr. And like I said, I checked the Security settings, guess I just didn't look closely enough.

Thanks EMT, I owes ya one :)

Dexter...