Radeon 9800 SE, The return of the 9500?

TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
We managed to find out some details concerning the mysterious RADEON 9800 SE graphics cards firstly mentioned in CATALYST 3.5 release notes. Apparently, there will be two versions of the RADEON 9800 SE, one of them will be pretty low-cost and will more resemble RADEON 9600, another will be more advanced and will probably become a successor of the legendary RADEON 9500 128MB that was easily transformed into more expensive RADEON 9700.

No cards in the U.S though.
This stinks the 9500 tweak all over it, read more at the source:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20030717153234.html

Comments

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    9500 tweak wasn't quite perfect...
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    What was wrong with them? A 9700 pro for half the price? Can´t argue with that, m8.
  • edited July 2003
    Arg, whats with these confusing naming schemes? We already have to keep track of the 7500, 8500, 9500, 9500 Pro, 9700, 9700 Pro, and the 9800. Not to mention nVidia's 5200, 5600, and 5900 Ultra. Now they add the 9600, and the 9800 SE???

Many of these cards have nothing in common in either price or performance (accept for the Pro/Non-Pros) What happned to the simple naming schemes of yore?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    What Ati is doing right now is just throwing salt in Nvidia´s wounds. They will sell masses o fthis card if it goes for half the price of what the 9800 pro does.

The 9700 was much harder to get in Europe, and they lost sales there because of it and Nvidia based cards sold more at that time.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    whatever happened to being creative??? i mean really....why not have called the radeon 9700, cerebus (the three headed dog gaurding hell) and the the 9600 would b e cerebrus lite and the 9700 pro would be cererbus pro..... then the next generation would be sum sort of mythological figure...like hadeas...at any rate...im just a mindless bafoon telling feeding u poop and telling u its sugar
  • karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited July 2003
    The problem with being creative is that you lose your brand name. Right now if somebody walks into a store and sees Radeon they will say 'ahh, that is a fast card, I will buy it.' When they see Cerebus they will say 'what the hell is that, I am not buying it.'

And yea, I have basically lost track of ATI product naming. Too many names. And of course there is the problem of marketing making card Y a higher number than card X, even though card X can bet card Y.
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    I think he means rather than a Readon 9700 Pro, it would be a Readon Cerebus Pro or something.