Raptors to hit the Retail market

TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
"We have received a groundswell of interest from those upper-end users who seek the very best in computing equipment," said Richard Rutledge, vice president of marketing for Western Digital. "The class of end-users who has traditionally embraced enterprise-class SCSI hard drives for their computing systems is now turning to Serial ATA for its increased performance and reliability. This new interface is designed for power users who enjoy video editing, digital audio applications or high-end gaming and want to push their overall system performance to its limits."

This means we will soon see theese drives included on the MIR (mail in rebates) and it also means that the prices on the drives will be lowered very soon.

Manufacturer's suggested retail pricing for Western Digital's Enterprise SATA WD Raptor 36 GB hard drives is $249. Complete retail kit includes WD Raptor hard drive; Serial ATA interface cable; SIIG SATA host adapter; and Quick Install Guide. WD Raptor hard drive products carry a five-year warranty.

One word: AWESOME!

LINK

Comments

• SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    Yeah good news, I'm just starting to plan my next upgrade, which I hope will be purchased within the next 6 months, I want a pair of them in RAID 0, but I also want more capacity than 36GIG per drive. Hopefully by then, some larger capacities will start to hit the shop shelves.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I think that bigger drives is in their plans actually. To try to get rid of as many as they can before releasing a 70+ gigger.
    What´s the biggest SCSI platter today? 73?
    edited July 2003
    I honestly don't know for certain, 73GIG platter does ring a bell though, you see a lot of SCSI drives with a 73GIG capacity, whether that's relevant as proof or not I don't know he he;). Either way, the sooner we start seeing SATA drives in capacities nearing 100gig, then I'll start buying, but only then.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Mackanz said
    Searching Newegg, 146GB 10K RPM HDD. Costs $668 - $815 :eek2:
    edited July 2003
    Blackhawk said
    Mackanz said
    Searching Newegg, 146GB 10K RPM HDD. Costs $668 - $815 :eek2:

I was looking at a 260GB AIT3 SCSI Drive by Lacie the other day. That retails at £2,818. Okay so it's not exactly your everyday run of the mill SCSI drive, but, it's still a lot of money.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Not scsi disc, hawk, just the amount/platter. But yes, SOO expensive.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Spinner,
    what about a pair of 36GBs in RAID 0 for your OS and applications and then another "standard" EIDE for data like a 250GB JB? Many companies are starting to do configurations like that.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    damn....i want one
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited July 2003
    Just 1?

/me wants like 50! :D
    WuGgaRoO said
    damn....i want one
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Preacher said
    Spinner,
    what about a pair of 36GBs in RAID 0 for your OS and applications and then another "standard" EIDE for data like a 250GB JB? Many companies are starting to do configurations like that.

that's what I'm thinking.
    edited July 2003
    Preacher said
    Spinner,

Yes it's an option, but I really want all my disk space on a RAID 0 array, the setup you mentioned would work well, but I ideally want top transfer rates accross the board. I do a lot of video editing you see.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    Seen a 200gb WD and 10k Raptor for $241 + fre S&H the other day. Expired tho.

http://www.edealinfo.com/DailyDeals/030717.shtml
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I've got one, and it is definately quicker than a regular ide or sata drive, but definately not the end all be all of drives.