Anyone have a bag of old CD power convertor cables?

DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
edited July 2003 in Trading Post
Ok, here's my story....

3 weeks ago I was on a business trip. While my back was turned for 1 minute in the lobby of the hotel, some asshat made off with my laptop briefcase. Among things like a brand new laptop, my wallet and my keys, my cell phone charger was also in there. :banghead:

Obviously, my phone is now a paperweight unless I can get a new charger. No, I can't get one from the local cell phone store, this is an older phone, and they don't stock them. To order from the factory would likely cost more than the phone is worth.

Now, there happens to be an identical cell phone charger unit here at the office, as another fellow used to have the same phone. But, he lost the power cable for it - when a backpack of his got stolen here in town, coincidentally enough....friggin thievin' lowlifes. :mad2:

What I need is a cable that is standard 110 Volts AC on the inout, and outputs 12 Volts DC, .5 Amps, 6 Watts.

At home, my wife and I have a bag full of diiferent DC power convertor cables collected over the years from various electronic gear. None of them are an exact match. One was close, but 7 Watts, and the phone didn't charge. For all I know, the charger base is pooched, but I can't tell for sure unless I have the right cord going into it.

So, if any of you have that same bag full of old DC cables, and you happen to have a 12V, .5A, 6W with a standard round plug end that you don't need anymore, please PM me to see if we can work something out.

Or, I will just wait until the boss gets tired of not being able to get hold of me when I am out of the office, and maybe he will buy me a new phone :rolleyes:

Dexter...

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Um, Radio Shack???

And those convertors can be polarity inverted compared to what the charger wants.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2003
    Thansk Ageek, but I already have one of those multi-convertors from Radio Crap. It only does .3 Amps, and I need .5.

Guess I'm gonna have to go dig at some of the used electronics garveyards around town.

Cheers,

Dexter...
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Tell him to get you a new phone.
    It aint worth it.
    edited July 2003
    Dexter:

Part Number 273-1773 (Radio Shack)
    12V, 500 Mamp (.5 amp)
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2003
    Ageek,

ya, I saw that one today in the store, but the problem is that they don't list the wattage on it. The sales guys in the store were all tied up, and I couldn't really dismantle the packaging to find out for myself, as I had the baby in front of my in her Snugli carrier. And I just checked it online, no wattage listing either. Thanks Radio Crap :(

Ultimately that may be the one to do the trick, I just don't wanna pay $20 for it, as I am not even sure if the old charger base works. If I could have found someone who had an old cable that matched my specs, and they were willing to part with it cheap or free just to lighten up their box-of-old-stuff a little, then at least I would have known for sure where the problems lies.

I think edcentric is right, I might just hold out for a new phone.

Dexter...
    edited July 2003
    Ok, but 12V times 500mA is 12*.5 VA DC, and that is 6 Watts. Closest I have here is 830 mA, qty 2(old Printer power adapters). Those particular RS adapters, the mA is OUT and DC, not line draw in of AC mA.

I understand not wanting to spend that much , though.

IF you had a friendly Radio Shack manager, I would have said take in charger and ask him or her what adapter to use and asked for a demo given that the cost was so high. I have done that at many stores-- maybe in Florida they work harder, down here the salepeople are required to prove things work before folks buy. I guess it is also quieter here, they usually have TIME to give demos also.

John
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Yeah I'm pretty sure .5amps = 6W for 12V. Electricity is kinda weird but I know that:

Watts = Volts^2 / Resistance
    Amps = Volts/Resistance

So Watts = Volts * Amps = 12*.5 = 6W.
    edited July 2003
    Right-- until you go into AC calcs. But DC is easier, thank DIETY.
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited July 2003
    Think of the time spent on this already. Think of the time YET to be spent on this. Think of the cost of a new phone, amortized over the next 12 months. Think of the cost of the lost productivity and opportunites without your phone.

Bottom line, schlep off to the mall and get yourself a new phone. End of hassle.
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited July 2003
    This might be a shot in the dark but have u tryed serching ebay or other similar sites, you never know you may get lucky and find 1 up for grabs.