new p4 stuff?

BudBud Chesterfield, Va
edited July 2004 in Hardware
whats the difference between the prescott 3.0e and the Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 530 3.0 GHz Im lost.

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    The only difference is that the first one is on Socket 478 and the second one is on socket 775. Of course there are different chipsets for each socket as well. Otherwise they are the same internally.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited June 2004
    ah, have the 775 sockets come to a desktop and the are motherboards put yet?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Bud, for some first testing of newest Intel chipset based boards and precanned systems based on them from Dell, FalconNorthwest and a couple other system builders of note, look here:

http://eletters.wnn.ziffdavis.com/zd1/cts?d=75-240-1-1-476645-10210-1

And here:

http://eletters.extremetech.com/zd1/cts?d=80-154-2-2-79233-17011-1

Ziff Davis Media sent me some enewsletters with these links in them, have not studied the articles heavily or cross-checked them yet. However, some of the features make my mouth water. :drool: is an understatement.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    The LGA775 boards

1) Are only recommended for <b>ten insertions of the CPU</b>. That's right. Ten.... Ever.
    2) Are not faster than the Canterwood boards.
    3) Have little to no PCI Express graphics support
    4) Suffer from DDR2 being slower than regular DDR
  • edited June 2004
    I also read today that some board makers are about to come out with boards supporting the LGA775 socket using the i875 chipset, with AGP and DDR support. It seems that i915 and i925 have designed-in overclock locks of around 10% overclock max also. :rolleyes: Some of the mobo makers seem to have gotten around the anti-overclock feature to more or less degrees but neither chipset is showing any advantage presently over i865 or i875 boards. Plus you have to fight the unavailability of PCI-E video cards and the higher latency of DDR2 with the new boards plus the fragility of the new socket design and you have something that doesn't look very desirable to me.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited July 2004
    what about the 538 and 518 ive seen those in laptops at work?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    Here is a link with some specs on those 2 chips.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15284
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    The LGA775 boards

1) Are only recommended for <b>ten insertions of the CPU</b>. That's right. Ten.... Ever.
    2) Are not faster than the Canterwood boards.
    3) Have little to no PCI Express graphics support
    4) Suffer from DDR2 being slower than regular DDR

Realistically most people aren't going to be taking a cpu out of the board more than 10 times(if ever), but what happens if people take it out more than 10? Will the pins fall off or something like that?