Asus A8V Deluxe + A64 Deal

CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Hardware
I haven't been a good techie as of recent...and therefore I know pretty much nothing about 64bit computer and the new sockets (797, 945? wtf?....Socket A is where its at.... :D). So, suffice to say, I am newb when it comes to this.

So here's my question, a friend of mine has an internal deal where he works and he can get an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard (http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8v-d/overview.htm) along with an Athlon64 3200 for $280 with a $100 mail in rebate. I hate the damn mail in rebates cause they take a year to come back, but, the final price being $180 with 280 up front. So....my question is. Right now I have an AthlonXP 2100+ and I've been looking to upgrade. My mother also needs a new computer ( to replace her aging AMD K6/2 500mhz, w00t) So I figure with this deal I could get a new computer and just give her this one, yay, two problems solved.

But, as I said, I know nothing about Athlon64 and A64 motherboards. So, my question is, is this a good deal, should I jump on it?

All you 64bit masters, please help someone stuck back in the AthlonXP age.... thanks! :D

Comments

• JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited June 2004
    Well I've just entered the 64bit arena too with a 3200 & a Asus K8V & I gotta say so far I absolutely love it. They're very quick in games but just don't expect to be able to overclock it too much.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2004
    good board, good chip. for $180, you can't go wrong (or even for $280, for that matter)
  • edited April 2005
    I recently bought one and I went for the 939 socket. I think it is here to stay
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    That sounds like a great deal for what you get.. $180 is pretty sweet for that combo. It will be a good gaming rig. What memory are you going to use with it?