Linksys Password?

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I have a Linksys BEFSR41 router. It works great, but I have a quirky situation with the password. It has inserted a 16 character password in the log on screen, and automatically saves it. I say "it" has inserted the password, because I know I didn't do it. I try to change the password to something else and I get the "Success - your settings have been saved" screen.

After that I can't get back into the router unless I hit the manual (factory default) button on the router itself. Then I go revert to the saved 16 digit sucker. I seem to have no option to "not" remember the password - in other words, it wants to plug in the 16 digit fella every time, which of course does not match my more user-friendly password. I tried to mess with my windows saved password settings to blow out all saved passwords, but that didn't help. My firmware version is 1.44.2, Dec 13 2002.

Any ideas?

Prof:scratch:

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2003
    I haVE THE SAME ROUTER. The default is admin for both username and password. It only shows you 16 *'s in the fields for security reasons - it is designed to confuse people (works. huh?:D )

This info is in bpth the manual and the Quickstart guide. If you do not have either of those documents, go to the Linksys download site.

Hope this helps,

Dexter...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    Aha! The ol' conceal the pw trick, eh? And I fell for it...

But why, after I am told that my pw was successfully changed, does the new one not work?

Thanks, Dexter:thumbsup:

Prof
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Is it that the new password doesn't work after you change it, or that it doesn't prompt you and just says you're unauthorized?
    edited July 2003
    EMT said
    Is it that the new password doesn't work after you change it, or that it doesn't prompt you and just says you're unauthorized?

It says I'm unauthorized.

I feel so insignificant when it does that...:vimp:

Prof
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Ah. It's probably trying the password it remembers and bailing when it doesn't work. Solved a very similar-sounding problem just yesterday/today here:
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1570

So try changing Tools->Internet Options-> Security tab -> Custom Level -> User Authentication -> Logon to "Prompt for user name and password". Or just try a different browser.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Um, some routers want the shift key also pressed if you pressed it while entering the password-- case sensitive. Ditto for ID name if you created one
    edited July 2003
    EMT said
    Ah. It's probably trying the password it remembers and bailing when it doesn't work. Solved a very similar-sounding problem just yesterday/today here:
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1570

So try changing Tools->Internet Options-> Security tab -> Custom Level -> User Authentication -> Logon to "Prompt for user name and password". Or just try a different browser.

Changing the security options didn't work. It still tells me that my settings were successfully changed, then doesn't let me in (or even prompt for a password). I'll try Opera when I get a chance.

Ageek said
    Um, some routers want the shift key also pressed if you pressed it while entering the password-- case sensitive. Ditto for ID name if you created one

That's a good idea. Unfortunately, it's not the problem.

Prof:scratch:
  • MarkTAWMarkTAW Brooklyn, NY
    edited July 2003
    I have the same router, and I've upgraded to the latest firmware version... the one without the built in help & graphical tabs - they removed the help & graphics to make room for more programming.

Anyway, the access to the router seems to work pretty much like an .htaccess file. I.e. the browser pops up one of those authentication screens. If this is pre-filled, it seems to me that it's the browser that's doing it, not the modem. Do you have your browser set to store passwords?
    edited July 2003
    According to Linksys' web site, I have the latest version. I've tried to blow out the pw's, and changed my security settings over and over again. I must be missing something...:banghead:

Prof
    pw.jpg 28.3K
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2003
    Just a shot in the dark here, but could the router be pooched, ie the eprom that stores your settings maybe is not "e-ing" and "p-ing", just "rom-ing." ?

Here's a thought. Reset to factory defaults with the little pinhole button on the bottom of the unit. Then, log in to the unit. Do not change the username and password. Do change something else, anything else. Monkey with some settings. Make sure to apply them and save them. Then power it down and back up. Log in. See if the settings you changed stayed changed, or if they defaulted. If none of the settings change, the EPROM is pooched, and you need a new unit.

If the settings did change, try the username and password change again. If that doesn't change, then I suspect that your firmware upgrade glitched somehow. Download the firmware again, fresh from their site. Save as new file on your system, and redo the firmware upgrade. I had trouble upgrading firmware on that some router model a year and a half ago, and I was using IE to do it. When I used Netscape, it went fine. Maybe try a different (non-MS) browser to push the firmware to the router.

Just some random straws to grasp at, maybe one of them will help. :cool2:

Dexter...
    edited July 2003
    Dexter said
    Just a shot in the dark here, but could the router be pooched, ie the eprom that stores your settings maybe is not "e-ing" and "p-ing", just "rom-ing." ?

Dexter...

Sorry I haven't responded earlier. My two 12-year-old nephews are visiting me this week and I've been two busy to do much.

The router will keep the settings if I do something like put one comp in the DMZ. I'm going to try your idea of flashing the firmware with a different browser in a few days. I have a high regard for Murphy's Law, and could see the router deciding to crap out altogether while I had company who wanted to use my extra computers. My nephews would murder me if they had to share internet access - right now they are enjoying the luxury of having there own computer available 24/7.:cool2:

Prof