NVIDIA-based Graphics Cards Will Have a Bug in Half-Life 2?

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
The highly-anticipated Half-Life 2 game will have a major bug with current DirectX 9.0 hardware resulting in impossibility in enabling Full-Scene Anti-Aliasing, a popular feature that dramatically improves image quality in games. Apparently, there is a limitation in DirectX 9.0 and/or DirectX 9.0-compliant hardware that will not allow the function to be enabled on certain graphics cards if the workaround is not found.

According a Valve officials quoted in forums at HalfLife2.net web-site, there are problems with the way that current hardware implements FSAA. If you enable it, you will see a lot of artifacts on polygon boundaries due to the way that current graphics processors sample texture subjects with FSAA enabled.

That's gonna upset a few users... but not as much as this...
The developers of the legendary Half-Life game said that drivers are not likely to solve the problem, however, it still can be solved for graphics cards based on VPUs from ATI Technologies, such as RADEON 9500-, 9600-, 9700- and 9800-series. As for NVIDIA GeForce and GeForce FX-series, there are practically no chances to find a workaround, according to Valve.

Source : X-Bit labs

Comments

• SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2003
    Half-Life 2: Get In The Game With ATI.

Doesn't surprise me one little bit. ATI's sweet revenge for NVidia stealing the thunder with UT2003. For NVidia's sake, lets hope that Doom 3 doesn't have any of these "problems..."
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited July 2003
    I already planned on getting an ATI card next, I have a geforce and am not pleased with it. Just another reason to get ATI.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    yESS!! score 1 for ATi...score 0 for nVidia...
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    OMG!

It´s like a Petrol war. I´ts like Volvo saying that you can´t run it on Shell gas, only BP. Wonder how much money Valve gets from Ati to "leak" this information.....it´s pure bull.