NF7-S2G & NF7-S2 new from Abit

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
I noticed 2 new Nforce2 Abit motherboards yesterday. The NF7-S2G (gigabit) and the NF7-S2. I wonder how these will overclock?

Notice no northbridge heatsink.

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    looks like the only thing that is different is the placement of the ide, and the heatsink for the NB came off, and changed name.

and gigabit lan for the G.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Ew, vertical IDE ports. Lame.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    Horizonal, at least with the motherboard.

Sata RAID as well.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    If you look closely. You will see that there is no longer a Silicon Image chip near the SATA ports, which are arranged differently now. According to what I read it appears that the SATA RAID controller is native on the S.B. of the chipset insted of the S.I. controller of the NF7-S. It also looks like they went back to metal lock levers on the socket. There is no mention of "SoundStorm" audio. :(
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited June 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    Ew, vertical IDE ports. Lame.

Makes cable management a lot easier & neater in the case's I use. :)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    I thought for sure that they Abit would have straightened out the nb chip on this new release. i mean have you ever tryed to mount a Thermalright SLK-anything there and then mount a high nb heatsink & fan next to it? The 45 degree angle really screws things up IMO. Perhaps not enough ppl complained idunno.
  • SputnikSputnik Worcester, MA
    edited June 2004
    just an update with the newest versions of the nforce 2 chipset it would seem...

yes, no soundstorm, better off with the nf7-s v2 still it would seem
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited July 2004
    Looks like no multiplier selection menu in bios atm.

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55317
    edited July 2004
    EQuito wrote:
    Looks like no multiplier selection menu in bios atm.

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55317

Yes I read that this morning ...what kinda carp is that?
    edited July 2004
    One of the posters made a good point: since there are no more unlocked XP's, it doesn't make sense to implement the feature on a budget board.
    edited July 2004
    EQuito wrote:
    One of the posters made a good point: since there are no more unlocked XP's, it doesn't make sense to implement the feature on a budget board.
    This is true ...however overclockers are buying Mobile's which are unlocked ...and run much cooler on less power and are highly highly overclockable ...as I'm sure you're well aware!
    Most clockers are going for Mobiles 2400+ - 2600+ at the moment.
    If you compare an XP lets say 3000+ (which happens to be what I have) to a mobile barton 2400+ or even 2200+ you can achieve the same overclocks as the XP3000+ barton with less power and less heat. Same L2 also.
    edited July 2004
    Yeah, I understand and I agree with you. I'm using a mobile myself and I don't like the idea of not having multis option but I guess Abit decided against it for some reason or maybe they made a mistake in the bios and we'll see the option back in a future update.
    In any case, it's pretty weird considering that Abit has been given us OC'ing options in every single board since as far back as the BH6. :confused2
    edited July 2004
    EQuito wrote:
    ...or maybe they made a mistake in the bios ....
    LOL ...dejavu ;D
    Yes the multi option from Abit has been around for quite a while!
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited July 2004
    You might as well buy an AN7. :thumbsdow
    The updated version of NF7-S looks more like AN7 than an NF7-S.
    And no northbridge cooling, guess you won't be oc'ing that much.
    A lot of people would be glad that they got rid of the lousy fan though.

Why on earth do they call one of them NF7-S2?
    That makes a lot of confusion, should have named it NF7-S v.3 or something like that.
    I guess that the "S" doesn't stand for SoundStorm then? :)

NF7-S rev. 2.0 still rules. :thumbsup:
    edited July 2004
    just get the NF7-S revision 2 not to be mistaken with the new NF7-S2. Two totally different boards.
    edited July 2004
    MJO wrote:
    You might as well buy an AN7. :thumbsdow
    The updated version of NF7-S looks more like AN7 than an NF7-S.
    And no northbridge cooling, guess you won't be oc'ing that much.
    A lot of people would be glad that they got rid of the lousy fan though.

Why on earth do they call one of them NF7-S2?
    That makes a lot of confusion, should have named it NF7-S v.3 or something like that.
    I guess that the "S" doesn't stand for SoundStorm then? :)

NF7-S rev. 2.0 still rules. :thumbsup:
    It looks to me that the current NF7-S will still be made for a while. Sales of AN7's never reached Abit's goals and may disappear first. The NF7-S is Abit's single highest selling socket 462 platform ever so it will be interesting to see if it ever gets bumped.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    The S is for SATA I guess.
    edited July 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    The S is for SATA I guess.

Nah!

It's for "Super". :D
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited July 2004
    mtgoat wrote:
    It looks to me that the current NF7-S will still be made for a while. Sales of AN7's never reached Abit's goals and may disappear first. The NF7-S is Abit's single highest selling socket 462 platform ever so it will be interesting to see if it ever gets bumped.

The AN7 has one advantage over the NF7-S though.
    It uses a slightly better audio codec, Realtek ALC658 compared to the RealtekALC650 on the NF7-S.
    The AN7 is supposed to have better voltage adjustments and so on.
    But I have never seen a AN7 OC higher than a NF7-S rev. 2.0.

I agree that the NF7-S has been a great succes, but has it been more sucessful than Abit's PIV boards?
    BTW: I have been nothing but happy with my NF7-S.
    Presently at 225 MHz, and I know it kan go higher.
    :thumbsup: for Abit.
    edited July 2004
    MJO

Realtek??? :scratch:

mine has Nvidia Soundstorm audio.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    The S is for suck.
  • edited July 2004
    You got that right, Thrax. They actually had some suckbutt at the Abit forums trying to argue with Equito about the features (or lack thereof) of this new POS release from Abit. Equito was posting about the lack of features on this mobo from what someone at the PCper forums had posted and this idiot was posting back retarded crap. Like Equito also posted over in the Abit forums; look at the pic and you'll notice this POS only uses a 2 phase power solution instead of the NF7-S's 3 phase solution too. Hell, if I wanted to stay with 2 phase power, I would just buy an Asus board.

What a junky release; I'd spend about $10 more to get a decent NF7-S 2.0 over that junk or spend around $10 less and get a plain NF7.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited July 2004
    mtgoat wrote:
    MJO

Realtek??? :scratch:

mine has Nvidia Soundstorm audio.

You are correct.
    But the Realtek chip is handling the "physical wiring" from the MCP-T to the outlets on the motherboard.
    The Realtek codec also takes care of the DAC.
    Meaning that it is the Realtek codec you are listening to if you are not using a 5.1 speaker setup.
    The 5.1 sound passes through the Realtek codec almost unaffected.

I was a bit confused as well when I first learned about this, but it is true though.

It is mentioned here, lots of other sites can be found through googling:
    http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/nforce2u400-roundup/
    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1759&p=2
    Here a quote from that last link:
    Yet another feature Realtek seems to dominate are sound controllers, this time in the form of their ALC650 chip, which can be found just below the NF7-S' I/O ports, and which handles all sound output for the board. Remember that the nForce2 APU only acts as a DSP, final sound quality is still greatly determined by the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) in the ALC650 AC'97 codec.