hardrive problems

edited July 2004 in Hardware
ok guys i new here so please gimme sum help thanks

ok if i ever have a power failir my hardrive comes up with the error unmountable boot volume and it DOESNT even regonise what kind of file system its using and its really getting annoying as i go to lans often get lots of movies and like to come back and watch them

im currently running these specs

AMD thunderbird 1.1 ghz
asus mx 440 se
384 mb sd ram
MSI mini ATX

cheers kodi :celebrate

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    so it only happens when u have a power failure??

when u have a power failure, your windows files probably got corrputed, and u can fix that by doing a repair install.

if u keep on having power failures, check your PSU, get a newone, something reliable.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2004
    No a repair install isnt the answer. The filesystem is simply corrupted and needs cleaned probably. The most important system spec for us is the one you left off. And thats the OS your running. Let's assume Win XP for now.

Boot from the cd and at the first prompt select recovery console by pressing "r". It takes you to a dos prompt like environment. Type "chkdsk" and hit return.

You really should consider getting a UPS if you lose power often. A better power supply isnt going to help probably but a UPS would

Tex
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Tex wrote:
    No a repair install isnt the answer. The filesystem is simply corrupted and needs cleaned probably. The most important system spec for us is the one you left off. And thats the OS your running. Let's assume Win XP for now.

Boot from the cd and at the first prompt select recovery console by pressing "r". It takes you to a dos prompt like environment. Type "chkdsk" and hit return.

You really should consider getting a UPS if you lose power often. A better power supply isnt going to help probably but a UPS would

Tex

agreed ...also if NT/XP are you using NTFS or FAT32?
    edited June 2004
    XP and ntfs have long had a bug where XP can not tell that the ntfs filesystem is "dirty" and needs cleaned. In a perfect world it would know that ntfs crashed and would "clean" it for you by running chkdsk. 80 percent or more of the XP/non booting probs relate to this problem and the filesystem just needs cleaned.

ALWAYS try and run a chkdsk and force it to run and clean the filesystem. I think its a /p option that forces it to clean but I'm not sure and to lazy to look it up for you right now.

Tex
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    i assumed that he needs a new/better power supply because eh said "its really getting annoying as i go to lans often get lots of movies and like to come back and watch them" so i assumed when he said power failures, he meant his power supply.
  • edited June 2004
    yeah its running XP and its a ntfs file system and how much can u pick u a usp for

(and will service pack 1 fix the problem???)
  • edited June 2004
    i have just recently brought a 300 watt aopen power supply
    edited June 2004
    A ups is an uninteruptible power supply. It has batteries in it that would keep the computer from crashing violently when you lost power. Depending on how large a ups you buy it can hold you up without power for maybe only like ten minutes or up to many hours. Price varies on size.

Do you lose power for seconds, minutes or hours ??? Is it durring storms or what?

Lots of what I buy is used also not new. Does that matter? Where are you located also?

Tex
  • edited June 2004
    it only happens during storms or just general power failier

i live in tasmainia australia
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    An Uninterruptible Power Supply will help here, right, gang (EXCELLENT SUGGESTION). It's the full name for UPS. For that computer, a 350 to 450 should be enough to at least protect it, and the nice thing about good ones is that they come with software that will tell the box to shut down if power stays off so long that the box is going to crash ohterwise as battery runs out. Then you get LOTS less unmountable boot volumes due to trashed file system or $MTF corrupted by being partly updated and a crash in mid update of that file.

Dragonv8, do you know of an aussie link that explains how to build a UPS out of car batteries and a recharge circuit??? Under the circs, if this person has a paranet that can help, at least at home it can be protected.

APC now makes a UPS in a backpack, that is not cheap and is for very high-end and high-draw laptops, but even that would let this box have enough time to shut down and limit possible surgedamages a great deal, and the UPS in the backpack comes with PowerChute shutdown software and a comm cable to monitor UPS (afaik its a usb or old-fahioned serial comm cable). Geeky or Muddocktor might be interested in this backpack UPS also, for their Sager laptops....
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2004
    John_D wrote:
    ...do you know of an aussie link that explains how to build a UPS out of car batteries and a recharge circuit???...
    You must mean Dan's Data. :)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2004
    Quote-
    A bench power supply is also a generally useful thing. I use mine all the time when I'm building and testing things, or when I just feel like setting fire to a pencil.

Great article prof.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    If you have temperental power, a UPS that can hold enough power to give you to shut down clean, is DEFINITELY your answer here :)

That's solid advice you are being given :)