Reliable Linux or FreeBSD or NetBSD motherboard

a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
This system will NOT be overclocked. I will not be pushing the limits on RAM timings or anything that could possibly introduce instability.

I want this system to be as solid as a rock, therefore all devices will be run at their rated speeds, even if they are able to run higher with 100% stability.

What motherboards (recent, for the Athlon XP/MP) do you recommend for Linux, FreeBSD or NetBSD?

This system does not warrant dual processors, but if the most stable board is a dual processor board, then that's not a problem.

I want a system that will run an Athlon XP 1700+ or higher, preferably a 2000+ or higher.

I do want AGP video, but nothing high-end. I just want to make sure the PCI-bus is free of any and all traffic that is not necessary.

/me forgot something.

I will be using IDE hard drives and I would like to mirror them, so on-board RAID that is fully supported is a very big plus.

// Edit: If this should have been posted in the Motherboard forum, please move it. I thought this to be the most appropriate forum, but if I'm mistaken please move it so that I get the most input.

// Edit 2: I'm not against Intel for the processor so if you know of a good Intel motherboard let me know. I prefer the AMD chips because I think they offer a better value, but I want absolute stability (w/in a reasonable price range) so if the Intel offers a more stable platform I will go with that. If I do go with Intel, though, I would like to have a board that supports either 533MHz or 800MHz FSB with preferably a 2.4GHz chip, or better. I don't want a really old Intel motherboard or a really slow p4 chip. I want something that's got some juice to it.

Comments

• RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited July 2003
    Just about anything thats not bleeding edge. Also, beware of nvidia and via driver issues. Stay far far away from nvidia driven boards.

Onboard raid is a waste, just grab any two channels and raid it yourself. You will have a much better filesystem in the end.