Prescott Performance after a month....

Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own wayNaples, FL Icrontian
edited June 2004 in Hardware
Two Prescott notes:

First, with the RAM load I had, I dropped anohter 512 MB in it, after about a month of run time.

Second, after about 3.5 weeks of running it almost at 24\7, I noticed a slight drop of temp, down from 67 to 64. I simply cannot believe AS5 needs THAT long a cure time-- that over 3800 running hours of time, so 95% sure this is not just the HS compound. I have not changed the HS or HS fan, that's not running faster or slower than normal either.

BUT, temp today was down to 59.5-60.5 C for CPU, case still floating at 30.5-32 C. The only thing that happened is that XP is paging less to HD, due to a total of 1 GB of RAM. CPu load averages 96-98% almost 24\7 (I do have to restart when cleaning it fo junk and updating or loading new programs on sometimes, or new driver packs. CPU started as a 2.8 GHz Prescott, it is running at 3150 (about, within 8 MHz)) GHz as I post and has been set that way for over a week now.

BUT, CPU temps have been trending DOWN and dropped 3 C (and stayed there for hours of runtime) when I doubled the RAM early today (about 12 hours ago, machine has been up constantly since that time) from 512 MB to 1 GIG-- Corsair nominally PC3200 LLPT, but the base doubled is about 454 RAM MHz rate, so....

CPU Vcc actual is identical to before (actual 1.31-1.33 floating, same voltage settings. BIOS version 15 on the IC7-Max3 now, via the Abit autoflasher. I had had issues with a 100% CPU load and hang from time to time (like once every three DAYS to every five days), decided to see if reducing paging processing load dropped temps. File system is perfect, and the box as usual has no junkware\malware on it. RAM is at 1:1 ratio to CPU base, it does not like running SLOWER or much faster than base I have now to get this GHz maximizing. I would say a drop of 4 C just by increasing RAM is significant.... Give Prescott a GIG of RAM instead of 512 MB, and temps drop???? Hmmmm..... :D:D:eek2::eek2:

Oh, its folding about 24-34 seconds per frame on same Tinkers FASTER than it was before the RAM upgrade, too.... I'll let you know about Gromacs, also, in a while, when both Prescott consoles are not doing Tinkers.

Has anyone else noticed that after a month of use, the Prescott drops in temps and gets about 5-7% MORE effective and MUCH more stable, or do you folks think it was just the lack of swapping\paging to HD???? If the Prescott cures in over about 3800-3900 hours, that might explain a bit of what folks are seeing with initial high temps on Prescott.... Has anyone else been revisiting temp monitorings and seen this after a month of running it almost 24\7???? I'd say this is a scary thing, a scary GOOD thing.... I can't believe it takes an IC7-Max3 a month to cure in.... BIOS was changed over two days before the RAM got stuck in, not that the BIOS is revised to show lower temps either, though version 15 might be interesting to get (you will get to retune your custom settings, they will get defaulted after the flash, CMOS table structure change also occurs and BOOT part of BIOS is also changed as well as main part of BIOS tabling and programming, definitely write them down before flashing BIOS).