Upgrade Outlook Express to Outlook XP

PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Anyone ever "upgraded" from Outlook Express 6.0 to the Outlook XP in Office XP? Any tips or lessons learned would be helpful as well. I'm looking to use the better capabilities and features in Outlook. I'd like to setup a single calender for our family that both my wife on her wireless laptop and I on my desktop can add, edit, and delete events.

Preacher

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2003
    I did, No problem at all, I don't really use most of the extra stuff in Outlook but it 'feels' better.
    Go for it.

bothered.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2003
    i like outlook much better, its more stable. however, it seems to run slowly after you first start while (i guess) it compresses your mail
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I use Outlook at work and much prefer it to Outlook Express. It does seem more reliable and is MUCH more feature-rich.

Bothered,
    did you just throw the Office XP disc in and tell it to upgrade?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    The only thing I have learned over the years about Outlook Express to Outlook transitions is that the best way is to export your Address Book and Email to a new folder(which you make) in My Documents called Outlook first. Then if you have issues, you can import from your spare set which you exported at need. AND, if the export fails you often would do best to track down why (corrupt email??) first and then once fixed proceed-- the same thing that Outlook Express is having troubles exporting is likely to cause autoimport problems. If no export issues, things are likely to go much smoother on upgrade to Outlook.
    edited July 2003
    Thanks for all your tips. The upgrade to Outlook went splendidly. No problems, bugs, or glitches.....knock on wood!

Now, for another question....how do I use the Outlook Calender in a multiple computer sense. At work, we have an office calender which everyone can read, some can add events and meetings, and a select few can delete and modify. Is there a way to do that with 2 computers over a home LAN/WAN?
    edited July 2003
    Bump!
    Any Outlook Calender experts out there? Or someone who knows where a website might be for me to setup the Calender for multiuser access?
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited July 2003
    That sounds like a shared calendar feature. I am not sure if that is available with the normal Outlook install, i think that it is only possible with the enterprise level of the software (MS Exchange Server)

~dodo
    edited July 2003
    NEUMAN! Evil Microsoft foils me again!

Thanks for the info, dodo.