Help with sharing cable internet connection

panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I and my roommate want to share a cable internet connection. I have an 8 way switch that I salvaged from home, and enough network cables to connect everything. But when I connect the network cable from the cable modem into the switch, the switch doesn't recognized the connection (lights don't light up). Little help :scratch:

Comments

• CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited July 2003
    Check the port on the switch. Make sure it's a crossover port (may not be right term). Try the other ports, is there a button to "switch" the port?
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited July 2003
    Thanks man, that was it. Plugged the line into the crossover port and now it works like a charm. :thumbsup:
    edited July 2003
    New problem:

The computers don't see each other. Mine can connect to the internet through the switch fine, but the other (a laptop with WinXP Home) can't. I've run the network setup wizard on both machines with everything connect and on with no luck. All the lights are on in the switch. I tried setting up shared folders in both machines but they don't see each other. They can only see themselves in the Network Places. I setup up both to use workgroup MSHOME in the wizard. Sorry but I need more help :confused:
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    You'll either have to purchase a router or a econd IP addres from your ISP. Your ISP is only going to give you one address, and once it's assigned to a computer, the cable modem will not assign anymore.
    edited July 2003
    I can't just share the connection? I was able to do this when I had my dial up service. When I run the network setup wizard on the host computer, it fails. Why can't the computers even see each other?
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited July 2003
    What are the IP's of the 2 PC's? I THINK they ought to be 192.168.xxx.xxx. For ICS to work, the machine hosting the link to the net has to have 2 NIC's, one connected to the ISP (cable modem), the other to the router/hub/switch. ICS has to be enabled, and the NIC's connected to the router have private IP's assigned, in the 192.168.... range.

Bear in mind, I've never setup ICS, this all from what I recall from MCSE tests.
    edited July 2003
    Alright installed another NIC, plugged the cable modem into and have the other plugged into the switch. Ran the wizard on the host machine for host, it completed.

Ran the client machine for client, it completed. The client can now see the host machine, but can't open up the shared files from explorer.

The host machine can't see the client machine, and the client still can't connect to the internet, it keeps trying to use the dial up connection.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Did you enable Internet Connection Sharing?
    edited July 2003
    Right now I'm just trying to get the machines to see each other. ICS won't work unless that much happens. I tried following the guide at http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/ but the computers still can't see each other. I'm close to giving up.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2003
    I've had this a few times. Do you have any firewalls? Turn them off. Ping each PC from the other, Do they see each other?
    See my post in this forum 'One way network' The last few posts by Maggie sorted me out.

bothered.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    bothered said
    I've had this a few times. Do you have any firewalls? Turn them off. Ping each PC from the other, Do they see each other?
    See my post in this forum 'One way network' The last few posts by Maggie sorted me out.

bothered.

Good advice - I heartily agree.

I've had to fiddle with nearly every WinXP computer I've added to my home network (eight computers - all Folding!). In my 98se days networking was a snap. Plug 'em in, share a folder (or drive, or printer) and you're off to the races. For whatever reason, with XP it often seems that I have to run the wizard several times to get everything going. I think the added security (way more than 98se ever dreamed of) makes the software side of it much more of a hassle. I am glad for the extra security, though.

Prof:)
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited July 2003
    panzerkw said
    Alright installed another NIC, plugged the cable modem into and have the other plugged into the switch. Ran the wizard on the host machine for host, it completed.

Ran the client machine for client, it completed. The client can now see the host machine, but can't open up the shared files from explorer.

The host machine can't see the client machine, and the client still can't connect to the internet, it keeps trying to use the dial up connection.

Remove the dialup protocol from the network settings. That probably won't fix your problem, but it won't try to dial a number anymore. It should be under network connections. Another method is to goto Tools/Internet Options/Connections in IE and removing it from there.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    bothered said

bothered.

Yes absolutely, there is a specific network coommunication which runs on boot up to detect network settings, but some firewalls don't let it through without your consent, Norton Personal Firewall is one, first thing to do, before you do anything else, would be to do as bothered instructed, disable your firewall, and make sure it doesn't re-activate on boot up either. However, the symptoms you are experiencing don't quite fit the problematic glove I was describing, so to speak.

SPINNER
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Wow! I don't see why so many people have problems with XP and ICS. All I do is let it configure it automatically or I do it. I just set a class a ip and subnet mask, same workgroup and I'm done. It connects to the internet automaticlly. Once I did have a problem that I set everything correctly and it didn't work for a long time. At the end of my patience, I just disabled and re-enabled it and it mysteriously worked. ;[

I guess you could try diffrent cables. Maybe a crossover cable to see if it's not the router. Just disable any firewall or uninstall them for that matter untill you get it fixed and see if the PC's see each other.