9800pro vs 9800xt

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Here is my situation.

My 9800pro 128mb 256bit newegg item number 14-102-304 crapped out on me last week. I called newegg and they did the rma thing and I shipped it to them 2nd day ups for $15 + $1 insurance. I don't remember what I payed for the card originally but I think it was around $299.

So newegg gets the card and inspects it and decides that it can't be fixed yet they don't have the identical replacement so they offer me 2 choices. Either I take a similar card of same specs item number 14-102-268 or I take a refund credit or check for current market value of $225.00.

So this part is a no brainer ...If I say ok just go ahead and send me the similar card I'll have a new card by the end of next week but the warranty will only extend throughout the end of the original warranty which was to last until October or November ...so lets figure 5 mos. One problem is this ...that card sells new for only $206.

So if I just take the refund back and call it even I come out with a credit or check for $225. Now ...if I turn around and buy the card for $206 I will have saved almost $20 plus I will have the full warranty all over again! ;D

What I'm considering it perhaps ordering a refurbed Ati 9800xt for $310.00. The card will only be warrantied for a 15 days replacement rather than l year like a new card.

So is it worth it to go refurbed and bite the bullit to get a stronger card in cpu/ram speed not to mention double the ram. The only real reason I am considering this is because I want to be as prepared as I can for Doom III ...but the 9800pro has been very very good to me.

9800pro replacement @ $206

9800xt refurbed @ $310

I have 3-4 days to decide or until the refurbs sell out.
You're opinions are welcome.
Thanks csimon

Comments

• ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Well we can't prove it until the game arrives, I highly doubt you would see an extra $100 worth. And the extra memory makes a very very small difference, in many cases none. I admit to being a bit out of the loop on my review reading but this is what I recall.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I say to go all the way and move on to today's technology. If you want an upgrade this will do it.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    mtgoat wrote:
    I say to go all the way and move on to today's technology. If you want an upgrade this will do it.
    LOL ...well I wasn't planning on going that far with it yet Larry ...but that was my first choice.
    I think in the near future they may be coming out with a 16 pipe version so I may have to wait on the bigger invesment ...by then I will prolly be looking into pci express as well.
    Besides ...today I borrowed the most money I ever have in my life at 6.375% interest to build a new house.
    edited July 2004
    csimon wrote:
    Besides ...today I borrowed the most money I ever have in my life at 6.375% interest to build a new house.

That sounds like a good excuse to buy something to me! :D
    edited July 2004
    You could just take the check and run to ATI's trade up program and after sending them an old defunct vid card have only spent $149.00 for a new 9800 Pro. :D
    edited July 2004
    mtgoat wrote:
    You could just take the check and run to ATI's trade up program and after sending them an old defunct vid card have only spent $149.00 for a new 9800 Pro. :D
    Yeah but if I take the check then newegg has my old defunct card!
    edited July 2004
    csimon wrote:
    Yeah but if I take the check then newegg has my old defunct card!
    You mean you don't have an old N***** card or something laying around collecting dust?
    edited July 2004
    well I have a riva tnt 64 pci sitting in my case at the moment. They'd take that crap and give me $50 off?

in fact ...I have an old mach32 vesa local bus sitting in my closet that has been absolutely useless since the 486 I had it in!
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2004
    Take the refund and buy the replacement card @ $206 keep the $20.The 9800XT (412mhz) is only 32mhz faster than the 9800 Pro (380mhz) @ stock clocks anyway.
    edited July 2004
    Omega65 wrote:
    Take the refund and buy the replacement card @ $206 keep the $20.The 9800XT (412mhz) is only 32mhz faster than the 9800 Pro (380mhz) @ stock clocks anyway.
    This is the route I am leaning ...I've already returned the email to credit my credit card. The $206 deal may just be a holiday special so I may have to speed up my decision date.
    I'm assuming that Newegg will be closed down until July 6th ...so whatever I do won't be acted upon until then. But that would happen no matter where I go.
    edited July 2004
    My sapphire 9800 pro 128/256 came in today.
    I notice 4 things different than my original.

1. The original ram was samsung ...this is hynix.
    2. The fan and heatsink are way different even from the one in the pic ...the far header is 3 pin now rather than 2.
    3. The circuit board is red rather than brown.
    4. The power connector is the standard 4 pin molex type (like for hard drives) rather than the original 4 pin (like for 3.5 floppies) which was easy to losen and cause power outs.

So overall this card looks way better manufactured. I'm not counting on the ram to overclock like the original card but I'm counting on the gpu to at least clock like the original card. I'll plu in tomorrow and post my results.

Any suggestions to converting my arctic cooler 2 pin/2 wire fan header to a 3 pin/3 wire header?
    edited July 2004
    csimon wrote:
    Any suggestions to converting my arctic cooler 2 pin/2 wire fan header to a 3 pin/3 wire header?
    nm I think it'll work in the nb 2 pin header which I'm not using.