OCing a Willamette?

MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
edited July 2004 in Hardware
My friend has a 1.7 GHz willamette p4. His system is in no way powerful enough to run the newer games smoothly, but it suits him. Anyway, after going through the trouble of identifying his mobo (he's had it for a while) he looked to update the bios. He's been having some trouble overclocking before the update. I never saw it myself, but he says that overclocking his system at ALL would corrupt his windows install and he'd restore it. Even after setting his fsb back down to 100 mhz. I know when I OC'd too high it would tell me there were corrupt files, but lowering the fsb fixed it.

No here's where I'm confused. Since I really don't know anything about P4's before the northwood, this one option in bios has me really confused. When did Intel issue the multiplier lock? Was it during or after the willamette lifetime? I thought it was a long time ago. Like before the pentium 3. In his bios he can change the multiplier for his processor and he's all excited and stuff. He may be able to overclock it, but he's still afraid it will corrupt windows (again).

Is there any reason why overclocking would kill windows? Could it be his ram? Last time I saw him running CPU-Z I came to the conclusion that his ram is faster than he really needs. It runs at 133 mhz, but his fsb is only 100 mhz. CPUZ reported the ram running at "FSB+33MHz". Could that be the problem? Maybe a setting in his BIOS will fix it? It's pc2700 of some kind, I don't really know. All I know about it, is that it's a gig of ram on one stick, but his system can only use 512 megs. Think it's an incompatibility? CPUZ said it was a gig, then 512mb under modules. But that's not really what I'm worried about.

So is there anything I can do to help him overclock at all?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Motherboards for Intel will let you visually change the multiplier, but the result is no change in the processor speed.

If anything is corrupting his system, it's certainly the RAM, not the CPU.