Video Card Mobo help

edited July 2004 in Hardware
Ok I purchased an ATI Sapphire 9600XT 256meg VIVO. I put it in my mobo. ASUS P4C800 Deluxe with 1 gig Ram. Installed drivers rebooted then I notice I can't get on the internet with the onboard lan. With a little more searching I see my SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Plat. Card is not showing up either. Then I see my USB ports arn't working. I try sticking in a NIC card and it doesn't reg. with the bios. I reset my BIOS setting check everything. Tried taking the battery out for 15 min to reset things. I tried uninstalling the new Vid Card Drivers and installing the old video card..... Still nothing. I've searched both the Sapphire and the ASUS help forums and found nothing. Anyone lend a guy a hand here on what I should try next????? I should also mention i'm running XP pro.

Thanks In Advance

Paver777 :Rocker:

Comments

• qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2004
    Had a similar problem a few weeks ago with a Gigabyte board. Turned out to be a combination of a capacitor on the board dying and a short to the case. First check all the capacitors on the board to ensure they aren't bulging or spilling stuff out of the top. (Capacitors are small cylinders with a plastic wrapping on the long side, spilling will typically be noted by orange/brown stuff at the top or a noticable convex shape to the top which should be flat).

That's unlikely though so the next big thing is Power supply, what do you have? Did you remember to hook up the extra power connector to the video card? BTW, do you have the same problem if you toss in your old video card?
  • edited July 2004
    Thanks for the quick reply! The board has been checked by a guy I know whom builds computers. The power supply I have is ASPIRE/TURBO 500W which is new from just after Xmas. As for his video card this version doens't have the extra power connection. I've also stated in my first post that I uninstalled the new drivers and put in the old card and it still didn't help things.

Thanks again

Paver777 :banghead:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I'm guessing that the new card caused an IRQ conflict somewhere and your LAN and Sound somehow lost their IRQs. Go into the System settings in Control Panel, and look under Hardware/Device Manager. See if the devices show up in the list with exclamation or question marks next to them. If not, go into the Add New Hardware Wizard and scan for new hardware, and it might pick your devices back up.

If there are exclamation or question marks next to the devices, post back with what they say.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2004
    If you have a restore point from before the new vid card I'd try that.

If not, set a restore point, then boot up in Safe Mode and delete everything in Device Manager. When you reboot, go into the BIOS and set it to "Update ESCD". Then let Windows try it again.

Good Luck! :)
  • edited July 2004
    Again guys thanks for the great suggestions. I've tried all of them before except the update ESCD. I and the guy who sold me the computer couldnt find that setting in the bios. I've searched it high and low. The devices don't show in add new hardware nor are there any exclamations by anything. I've tried updating it and they are not seen.

Thanks

Paver777
    edited July 2004
    Have you tried the Catalyst Driver Uninstaller, followed by a driver reinstall? If not, I would download and extract (if necessary) a different set of ATi drivers, perform the cleanup, then reboot and try the new ones.

Is the other hardware still messed up?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Try this, if you haven't already:

1. Disable the LAN card in BIOS and take out the sound card.

2. Do what profdlp suggested above.

3. Put the sound card in a different PCI slot than it was in before, and re-enable the LAN in BIOS then boot into Windows. Reinstall the motherboard drivers and sound card driver if necessary.
  • edited July 2004
    Problem solved guys thanks for all the help once again. But it ended up being the Mobo. and it was totally my fault and had nothing to do with the video card really. When I installed the Mobo. into the case, the plate that covers your mouse, keyboard, usb, firewire, and printer ports was installed incorrectly. I missed one of the small tabs and it was sticking into the firewire plug. This shorted the board out causing none of the slots to work. I hope i'm able to get the Mobo replaced under warrenty but I won't hold my breath. Thanks again for all your reply's.

Paver777
    edited July 2004
    Sorry to hear about that, Paver. I hope the warranty holds up.

If it's any consolation, that is a very easy thing to do. I'm sure you're not the first person to fall prey to that problem.