Can a Pentium 1 play movies?

edited July 2004 in Hardware
hi all.
i got pentium 1, 133mhz, 32mb ram.
is it posible to wach avi,mpg,divx, mooves on this system ?
thenx.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Slowly, with some skips in frames, for DivX and MPG3. AVI, MPG1, and MPG2 possibly, yes, though. Depends more on free RAM and HD space, and if you try to do anything else. Also depends on video card. Back in the days of Pentiums when they were new, that was the first Pentium that I watched some moving video on (a 133). BUT, DivX movies are HUGE in file size unless you are watching 10 min clips. What will happen is you most likely will end up watching a silent movie with DivX on a PI or PII box. AND, details might be fuzzy, as Pentium (Pi and PII) boxesdo not usually have the monitors or video cards needed to handle real good video.

Advice, for DivX, go to a 1.8 GHz P4 and 512 MB RAM, minimum. MPG3 or 4, that speed processor, possibly 384-512 RAM will be very good minimum. Then you can have audio in sync with video in movies of modern kinds. Or a Barton 2500+ box. Then you can get real good quality on a decent monitor and have realtime sound with the video. On a Pentium or PII gen box, audio frequently will lag, but you can watch video. Big long modern movies, no, on a Pentium I or II, due to RAM and HD and video it can handle. OLD movies, yes, new no on those gens, to see them WELL. 32-64 MB video card (TNT2 M64, Radeon PCI DDR RAM or GRAM, MINIMUM video card) and 128 MB RAM recommended for the first Pentium gens for movies. Try an 8-40 GB HD, too, and clean it off often if you want full length MPG2's. That is for only watching, not for MAKING at any reasonable speed.

GAMING (and MAKING movies) is a different story, for modern games, but some movies you can watch, yes.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Bottom line - you'll have a very bad experience if you try to play Divx on a Pentium 1 system. Bare minimum for a no frame skip experience is 500 mhz.

Having 256mb or RAM will make it more trouble-free, in that as soon as a second program starts using resources on a 500mhz system, the video will start to skip or lag if RAM is 128 or less.

A slightly faster processor helps offset the need for RAM. My 733 P3 with 128mb never had any problems playing Divx.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    No.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2004
    Black Hawk wrote:
    No.